Author Topic: A Open letter to Winchester  (Read 876 times)

Offline JBKERNS

• Trade Count: (0)
A Open letter to Winchester
« on: February 11, 2005, 01:56:53 PM »
I had no response so I thought I would vent:

Dear Winchester Firearms,

Congratulations on the introduction of the new Timber Rifles.  If you have competitively priced them to the Marlin offerings, I hope that the market will justly show it to be a winner.  You have the Ashley Sights and the scout rail straight out of the box! That is great!  However, I hope to convince you to make this idea even better.

First, offer the Timber Scout in a beefy enough .45/70 Government to handle Garrett type loads.  This will be a more flexible and powerful package.  I could load it down for plinking or up to near .458 Winchester Magnum performance.  I can understand the argument for a non-cuddly bear country rifle not needing a scope; however, there are enough people who will disagree.  I believe that it is sad that on the Scout you only allow receiver mounting of a scope and not allow a scout scope on it.  Please drill and tap the barrel of a Scout mount like the other Timber.  If I was a shooter with failing eyesight, that would force me to the Marlin camp were there is a mount available.

Again, you have the advantage of having correct sights for that type of rifle just out of the box. You have a great idea.  Please, follow it through.

Also, make a pre-64 like Winchester Lightweight Model 70 in .30-06, put Lyman or Williams peeps on it and sell it as a retro piece with pictures of Hemingway, etc. There are some of us who love the old Model 70 / Springfield NRA Sporter concept that would gobble it up. Place a decent trigger on it or have it compatiable for a no-gunsmithing after market trigger if your lawyers get in the way.  Please have your trigger break at three and a half pounds like a glass rod. With such a rifle, I could shoot my local friendly informal CMP club matches, load it up, down and sideways for any game in North America and use it in Africa as a light rifle.  It would be a great lifetime companion and a honor to the Winchester name.

Holler if you need some product testing on the above ideas. Funded field research by a real person, not a TV talking head, may be required to help you provide the best products possible.

Thank you for your time,

Jeff Kerns

Offline gwindrider1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Letter to Winchester
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 07:24:49 AM »
JB,  Did you send that to USRAC?  Let us know if you ever get a reply from them!