Author Topic: new mexico antelope draw odds  (Read 570 times)

Offline thelaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
new mexico antelope draw odds
« on: January 12, 2005, 05:12:59 AM »
been a few years since i hunted in new mexico. it seems like everyone always wants to hunt in the northeast part of the state for the antelope. i've never gotten drawn for an antelope hunt there, but was wondering if it would increase my odds to put in for another region fo the state? i was told that there were some leftover tags in other regions this past season.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 11:00:23 AM »
:D I guess I like to know on what land I'm going to hunt. Then you want to know if there are antelope there and what size can you expect to see. I know Wyoming has leftover tags in areas that are mostly private land. That doesn't mean you can't find a lot of good animals there.
I would:
1 Find out what the odd are of drawing a tag in each area.
2 Find out about #s and quality from game managers and anyone in area.
3 Get some knowledge from local persons in that area. Sometimes you can ask on sites like this about specific areas.
4 Line up a place to hunt before you apply.
5 Give it a try. Sometimes you find out about other areas or good spots while you are out there. The more info you have before you start the better off you are.
I hunted an area for elk in New Mexico without ever having been there but it's hard. I did see an elk but was unsuccessful. I don't regret the trip.

Offline DesertRam

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 05:26:01 AM »
The odds for drawing a public lands antelope tag in NM suck, plain and simple.  As you've seen, in the NE it's like 1 in 12.  It's not much better in the rest of the state.  The bow season is a little easier to draw, but there are not leftovers anywhere.  NM doesn't sell leftovers anyway.  Your best bet for NM antelope (unless you want to play the odds and wait 20 years) is to buy a landowner tag.  These will run you from a grand to $3,000 depending on what's provided with the hunt.  The NM Game and Fish will post a list of landowners with tags later in the year on their webpage.

Like freddogs said, you'll have a much better chance of getting a tag in Wyoming.

Offline thelaw

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 01:51:17 PM »
well, i figured it is MAYBE worth a try. i live in texas and went to wyoming this past fall hunting antelope and mule deer. had a good succesful hunt on both, but next year i want to spend the entire time hunting for mule deer. that is why i was hoping to maybe land an antelope hunt near texas. i have a friend that gets a $250/tag deal every year in NE New Mexico, but there isn't any extra tags for me. its only a $6 risk i guess. the only thing that has me spooked about putting in is the so-called possiblity of you and your partner getting put on separate ranches if you do get drawn.

Offline DesertRam

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 06:10:10 AM »
I know the monkeys at the F&G try to put partners together on the same ranch, but it all depends on the number of tags alloted to a specific ranch.  If they assign you to one, and it's the last available slot on that ranch, your buddy will get kicked to another ranch.  I think the generally try to keep you close together, but that could be 20 miles or more on some of the larger ranches.  20 miles apart with only one truck would be a major PITA, if you know what I mean.  It's all part of the risk I guess.  I don't even know what non-resident odds are, but they can't be good.  I'd throw in and see what happens.  Chances are you won't get drawn anyway, so there's nothing to worry about.  

Good luck.  I'll be putting in too, but after about 8 years of no tag, I'm not expecting much.