Author Topic: ULTRA TURKEY  (Read 912 times)

Offline presdme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
ULTRA TURKEY
« on: January 15, 2005, 03:40:48 PM »
Hey all, sending my 12ga ultra slugger back for a 10ga 24"  xtra full turkey barrel. Any one have any info on this set up such as maxim range, which shells ,what shot, and what red dot will take the 10ga recoil or any thing else that might be useful? THANKS AND GOOD HUNTIN!!!

Offline turkeyhunter

• Avid Poster
ULTRA TURKEY
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 03:13:25 AM »
Presdme,

Unfortunately here is a quote from their website:

PARDNERĀ® SHOTGUNS
ADDITIONAL 10 GAUGE BARRELS
10 gauge shotgun frames can only be fitted with the 10 gauge shotgun barrels listed below. H&R 1871, LLC will only fit the listed barrels to 10 gauge frames manufactured by H&R 1871, LLC, with the New England FirearmsĀ® brand name.

Turkeyhunter
Colossians 1:18b:  "That in all things He might have the pre-eminence"

Offline presdme

• Avid Poster
ULTRA TURKEY
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 03:25:11 AM »
Hey turkeyhunter are you saying i cant get the 10 ga turkey barrel for my 12ga ultra slugger? If so I am very confused. Please someone HELP!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
ULTRA TURKEY
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 03:40:14 AM »
You can get the 10 ga barrel on your frame. The 12ga ultra barrel is made from a 10 ga barrel blank. I don't know much about the answers to your other questions but I'm sure some of our turkey hunters will help you out.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
Re: ULTRA TURKEY
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 07:04:01 AM »
Quote from: presdme
Any one have any info on this set up such as maxim range, which shells ,what shot, and what red dot will take the 10ga recoil or any thing else that might be useful? THANKS AND GOOD HUNTIN!!!

Welcome aboard presdme :D
I've had my 10ga(SB2-MAB) for 2 years now and I love it. Mine came with the xtra full choke installed, I couldn't shoot it for a couple months because I couldn't find any lead shot at the time. As you probably know you cannot shoot steel thru this choke. This is something to consider when you order the barrel. I finally ordered the steel shot choke and have only shot steel through this gun. You could just order the other choke when you order your barrel for another $28.00. This is the way I would recommend going.
You may not have a problem finding lead shot where you live, here it's only in stores for a couple months during turkey season. The only lead I've seen is the turkey magnum loads and they cost twice as much as the steel shot. Wal-Mart had Remington steel shot for around $14.00. The cheapest I've found turkey loads is at Academy if you have one where you live. I can't give you any info on how the lead patterns, the steel patterns decent. I am sure the lead with xtra full would be way tighter, maybe someone else will answer that one for you. I guess I need to break down and buy some lead shot :-)
I've had good luck with a BSA Red Dot. I used a scope mount for a Rossi, it was easier to find around here and had the right contour to fit the barrel. You will have to drill one hole in the mount because only one lines up. This is simple because the mount is made of aluminum.  From what I've read on here it's about 50-50 with the shooters on here liking or hating the BSA Red Dot.
Good luck and keep us posted :grin:
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline presdme

• Avid Poster
ULTRA TURKEY
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 07:45:00 AM »
Thanks all for the quick response. I was worried that I saw the info wrong. I am going to get the turkey xtra full 24" and go to gander mountain to get some 10ga turkey loads.If they dont have them they will order some for me. Thanks all and GOOD HUNTIN!!

Offline turkeyhunter

• Avid Poster
ULTRA TURKEY
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 02:21:19 AM »
:oops:  :oops:  :oops: Well, don't I feel embarrassed!  I didn't realize the ultra was built on a 10ga frame.  Hmm.  Maybe I need to do some shopping!  Sorry for the confusion.

Offline jeff223

ULTRA TURKEY
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 07:34:35 AM »
presdme,when i got my 10ga turkey gun i shot all the 10ga lead shot ammo i could find and the only one that would pattern good was the Winchester Supreme turkey  ammo.number 5 and 6 shot does the best.this ammo is the 1300fps stuff loaded with 2oz of shot.the Remington and Federal ammo didnt shoot worth a hoot.

also i was never really happy with the way the gun patterened with the stock choke tube.as far as i am concerned the stock tube is JUNK.with the stock tube and any ammo it would blow the pattern at 30yds.why take the recoil of a 10ga if you cant shoot beyond 30yds?i went to a XX FULL COMP N CHOKE and i also had the forceing cone lengthened in the barrel

you might get a gun that patterens good for you with the stock choke tube  but i dont think so.all the NEF 10ga guns i have seen needed work to make them pattern good out past 30yds but that number of guns  is only 3.after the work is  done and with a aftermarket choke tube you can have a true 50yd turkey gun.

forcing cone jobs run about $30.00 and a good tube runs about $50.00.im sorry to tell you about this but you might have to spend some extra money on your barrel to make it shoot and pattern good

also i have my gun setup with a low power shotgun scope.love the 10ga nef turkey gun

Offline presdme

• Avid Poster
ULTRA TURKEY
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 12:09:11 PM »
thanks jeff223, Ill not spend to much time with all the different shells and shot sizes. Ill try the winchester turkey supreme and if that don't work then a new chock tube is in order. Thanks again this is just the info I was looking for!! GOOD HUNTIN!!

Offline joe527

!0ga loads
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 01:13:15 PM »
I have had mine for three years now and absolutely love it. I was hunting with a Browning BPS 10 ga. until I ran across the Turkey Special. Mine shot rings around the browning so i sold it. It has the black stock and 24 in barrel that is D&T for a long eye relief scope and xtra full screw in turkey choke. It is death on a long beard out passed the 50 yard line. I have shot some targets out as far as 70 yards that had pellets in the kill zone but I have not attempted to take a Tom at that range.Mine loves Winchester Supreme in 2.5 oz. of number 5's. If you reload I suggest a  2 oz.  load of number 2's they really do a job on a tom.
                                                          Joe h.

Offline turkeyhunter

• Avid Poster
ULTRA TURKEY
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 05:27:55 PM »
You guys have really peaked my interest now with these 10 gauges.  What is it that you like so much about them.  I have always been a 12 ga. fan but I have been disappointed that I could not get an NEF that was drilled and tapped and the vent rib Topper Deluxe Classic barrel is not available yet.  So, now you have me thinking.  Is it time to place an order and get a 10 ga?  How is the recoil compared to a 12ga?  What choke tubes will fit it.  Hmmm..     I guess I have too many questions.  Help!  Turkey season is just around the corner and now you guys have me all messed up!   :)

Offline presdme

• Avid Poster
ULTRA TURKEY
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 10:58:24 AM »
Thanks everyone, the more advice the better!! Hey turkeyman, the 10ga 24" turkey comes drilled for a scout mount,{about half way up the barrel} and takes 2 weaver #19 scope mounts for a red dot or long eye relief scope. It also has a xtra full turkey choke with it. I hope it shoots as good as joe527s. Only time will tell? Cant wait to get it and try it out. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE AND GOOD HUNTIN!!

Offline oo_buck

• Avid Poster
ULTRA TURKEY
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 03:11:00 AM »
I have the same set up....

Be sure you get the shotgun buttstock.

My model 980 ultra had a Monte Carlo type stock on it.......

Nobody told me I needed a different stock.  It changed the angle so much that I couldn't sight down the barrel, until I got the "shotgun" stock for it....

Anyone need a Monte Carlo Buttstock for their 980 Ultra????

Offline Juette

Calling Joe527
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2005, 05:32:52 AM »
What choke tube are you using that is producing such excellent results with your 10?

I have a Goblin Thunder and it is not holding the patterns very well past 40.  I plan to lengthen the forcing cone, so that should help some.