Author Topic: What on earth am I doing here?  (Read 678 times)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
What on earth am I doing here?
« on: February 09, 2005, 03:33:35 AM »
If you have been asking yourself that question join several of us as we partake in a 40 day journey to find the answer.  We are organizing a book reading and discussion using Rick Warren's The Purpose Driven Life, to discover why God made us, what his intensions are for us - both here and now, and for eternity.  Knowing God's purpose for creating you will reduce your stress, focus your energy, simplify your decisions, give meaning to your life, and, most importantly, prepare you for eternity.

The book is written as a nondenominational study so all are welcome to join us. In fact I would like to avoid getting distracted by any theological discussions if possible.

I'm thinking about kicking off the discussion on Friday, Feb. 25th.  That should give enough time for anyone who wants to pick up a copy of the book to do so.  Your still welcome to join us if you don't want to get the book but you would be doing yourself a disservice.

The Cover price of The Purpose Driven Life is $19.99 but can be had for less at Sam's Club, Wal-Mart and any of the discount book store chains.

If you would like to learn more about the book visit:  http://www.purposedrivenlife.com/thebook.aspx
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Shorty

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 12:48:25 PM »
"I want to avoid being distracted by any theological discussions" ??
Isn't THAT what you ARE talking about?

Offline Brett

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 04:35:28 PM »
Sorry Shorty guess I could have stated that more clearly. I'ld like to keep the discussion keyed on the core Christian beliefs. There are literally hundreds of 'Christian' denominations all with their own set of traditions and beliefs but all believe in the one true God and salvation thru His Son Jesus Christ.  It's getting bogged down in discussions about denominational differences of opinion on things like;  Sprinkling vs emersion, infant baptism vs believers baptism, drinking vs abstinence, dancing in the church vs no dancing in the church, gambling, women clergy,  praying to the saints, contemporary music, so on and so forth that I wish to avoid.  

A POLL has been set up in the "Request a New Forum" section asking if  you would like to see this discussion take place here in the "Pot-Bellied Stove" forum or under it's own forum heading.  Please vote so we know where to conduct this study and discussion.   Thanks

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 11:10:04 PM »
I will be joining in with ya. My prayer go with you as you conduct this study.
I ammm looking forward to the 25th, but please remind me--I am bad bout tha remeberin thing.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 12:16:04 AM »
Is the discussion/study going to be nightly or weekly.  Tell me a little about how this will work?  I am interested.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 09:51:52 AM »
I'm in. I have the book and have been through it once a couple years ago, but once more won't hurt me, for sure. Guys, this isn't going to be a super deep study of the Bible that will end up taking you into the origins of the greek roots of words and splitting theological hairs. Just some straight forward, basic concepts that will challenge you to do some honest self-evaluation and introspection. If you enter into it with an honest desire for spiritual growth, I think that there will be very few people who can't take something from this study. I guess the point I'm trying to make is not to be intimidated by this. If you have the desire to seek some answers, join in.

Offline BamBams

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 10:53:43 AM »
I don't have the book yet, but count me in anyway.  Worst case, I can spectate until I can get the book.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Brett

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 11:03:36 AM »
Hey Curtis, glad to have ya on board.  As too the exact format I haven't a clue,I'm just making it up as we go along.  Since we are spread out all over the country and all have different work schedules etc. I guess the easiest thing to do is leave it open for anyone to post their thoughts/comments when they have the time.  I will try to keep tabs on the conversation every evening  but may only have time to add my own comments once or twice a week.

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 12:42:14 PM »
Ok, count me in.  I have not read the book yet, so this will be great.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline BamBams

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 01:53:31 PM »
I am happy to see this idea developing so well.  It sort of gives some meaning to the time spent around here!  HAHAHA!

I hope I can get the book on time.
NRA Handgun Instructor