Author Topic: What do you suggest?  (Read 856 times)

Offline Charlie1947

• Trade Count: (0)
What do you suggest?
« on: February 11, 2005, 03:07:21 AM »
:D Hi from Texas,
Last week on a whim, I decided to look for another carry pistol. Usually, when I'm going to look for guns, I carry a bore light. I found a Para 12.45.
It REALLY looked good, I was drawn to it because it looked new and met
my requirements, .45, small, etc. I bought the gun, got it home an put the
bore light in and was shocked,  the bore looked like it was 10 years old and REALLY worn. :(

What are your suggestions to clean the bore? I would appreciate your help.
Regards,
Charlie1947
Regards,
Charlie1947

Offline Savage

What do you suggest?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 04:35:42 AM »
How bout a new barrel from Brownells? If the current barrel is worn out, cleaning won't help. Course it may shoot ok just as it is. Welcome aboard!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline gwindrider1

• Contributor
What do you suggest?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 05:40:27 AM »
Charlie,

That barrel might be leaded up.  I'd try cleaning it out with a Lewis lead remover, or something similar, then just shoot it to find out the results.

I think it would be very unusual for a barrel to get that worn without the handling wear showing up on the outside as well.  Pretty hard to wear out a barrel on a .45.

Offline Vern Humphrey

• Avid Poster
What do you suggest?
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 06:30:01 AM »
Start by cleaning.  If it's badly leaded, get a set of vaccum line caps from an auto supply store, and plug the breech.  Stand the barrel up in the sink and pour in a 50-50 mixture of Hydrogen Peroxide (any drug store will have it) and white vinegar.  Watch closely -- a gray scum will form.  Pour that down the drain -- that's the lead.

When the barrel is lead-free, dry and lube as normal.

Then, "ask the gun."  Take it out and shoot it with quality ammo (not reloads of unknown quality.)  If it shoots well, don't fix what ain't broken.

If it doesn't clean up and shoot right, a replacement barrel is the answer.

Offline Charlie1947

What do you suggest
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 06:36:28 AM »
:o  Thanks guys, your advise was great! Just for the heck of it, I called the dealer. He told me to bring the gun in, they will clean it, IF it is in bad shape, they WILL replace the barrel. Sounds like a good dealer to me.
Regards,
Charlie1947
Regards,
Charlie1947

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
What do you suggest?
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 07:27:07 AM »
I bought a commander many years ago that someone must have shot corrosive ammo in.  It had a barrel that looked like a mile of bad road.  Even after cleaning, it had lots of pits and dark places.  But that gun would (still does, my son owns it now) shoot 2 1/2" at 25 yds.  The pits never affected the accuracy at all and it doesn't dirty up any more than any other gun I have owned.  The proof is in the shooting.  Shoot it before you worry about what the barrel looks like.  It may shoot so good that you don't want him to mess with it!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Charlie1947

What do you suggest
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 01:02:08 PM »
:grin: I just got back from the dealer. They were determined that I would be happy, and I am. The gun was stripped and thoroughly cleaned. It did indeed have quite a bit of lead. The lead is now gone, the barrel looks great with only 4 VERY SMALL pits. I will go to the range tomorrow for a
session of shootin'.

The dealer said again that, "if it didn't shoot right they would make it right". I feel good either way. I feel like I have found a place that I can buy with confidence. I appreciate the great advise!
Regards,
Charlie1947
Regards,
Charlie1947