Author Topic: Brnishing Tracker II Rifled Barrel  (Read 562 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Brnishing Tracker II Rifled Barrel
« on: February 15, 2005, 05:37:15 PM »
I was just wondering,  what would happen if you burnish a rifled barrel?  I have talked to some guys who always shoot the rifled slugs through rifled barrels.  Yes, I know this will fill in the rifling with lead and cause all kinds of accuracy issues.  The reasons these guys give for doing this is, mainly, the price of the shells.  I guess I am just looking for some info on all this.  There is just a lot I don't know about all this stuff.  I never fired slugs before.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Chainsaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 08:16:37 PM »
I shot Federal rifled slugs thru my wifes Tracker Rifled barrel to sight it in, when we first purchased it. It was by the grace of God and an act of congress that I eventually got the lead cleaned out of the barrel. This after only 10 rounds or so.

If it was up to me I wouldn't advise it, but I have read here others that shoot the rifled slugs in theirs with no dramatic cleaning problems like I had. What a darn nightmare that was to "get the lead out." :eek: ..........Chainsaw

Offline jeff223

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 06:26:42 AM »
pick up some cheap Lightfield sabot slugs to get it on paper.then try the better slugs.you might even want to stay with the Lightfields,i hear some people even hunt with them :shock:

i would stick with the sabot slugs in a rifled barrels

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 07:07:40 AM »
I agree completely.  1 or 2 won't hurt the gun but if you buy a rifled barrel it's best to shoot sabots from it!!!:agree: ....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 11:36:52 AM »
Back to Cookieman's question,  I don't think it would work with a rifled barrel.  Everything I have seen about burnishing a barrel has talked about a smooth bore gun.  I'd be afraid the steelwool would get hung up in the rifling....

And if your going to paid for a rifled barrel on your shotgun shouldn't you at least buy the cheap sabots to get it on the paper then switch over to what you feel will be your hunting load ?  I know when I was first sigthing in both my tracker I used what ever was the cheapest until I got it on the paper, then I start using different brands to see what shot best out of the guns.
Then I actually ended using a hunting load that didn't shoot as good as some of the ones I had try at the range.  I ended up using the New Remington buck hammers for both my 12 ga and 20 ga.  They might not be the best for accuraty but they hit hard as all get out. And since I'm only taking shots at 50 yrds at the most they work for me.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: Tracker II barrel
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 01:03:17 PM »
Thanks for all the input.  It sounds like good advice.  I have read a few accounts of guys actually sticking with the CHEAP sabot slugs because they ended up being the best shooters of the lot they tried.  As I said, this slug thing is all new to me.  I have been out of hunting for some 20 years and I didn't really know a lot to start with.  All of you are helping me along the way and I appreciate it.  THANKS
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 07:48:05 AM »
Cookieman,
                  Your welcome and you will find that all the people here are always willing to help with questions and sugestions.  Just enjoy that fine single shot of yours.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)