Author Topic: premium barrels  (Read 448 times)

Offline AkRvrrat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
premium barrels
« on: February 08, 2005, 09:21:26 AM »
Hello to all! My first thread. Question! I have this Ruger Bisley .45LC - not at all a straightshooter as my SRH .454. Measured cylinder throats -5@.4485" and 1@ .449" - sent the cylinder to be reamed. Suppose I could have bought a 70.00 reamer and some pilots at extra cost but I have just this .45  Anyway to what advantage is a lets say a Douglas Premium barrel opposed to the stock Ruger barrel? Is there when all things considered a more accurate barrel from Douglas? I did not by the way slugg the barrel - I did use a Enco Telescoping Gage and a digital caliper and both measured barrel at .450" - not correct I know. I have a soft lead being sent to me to identify the proper bore size. Like I asked what is with the supposed better barrels? Is there actually anything to gain other than saying " this is a Douglas Barrel" on my pistol?

Offline Duffy

• A Real Regular
premium barrels
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 02:03:20 PM »
Most all of the premium bbls are air gauged and hand lapped to give a very smooth and even surface through out the length. If installed properly they can shoot very well. If not you'll just have an expensive turd. Other things have to be taken into consideration, bbl gap, cyl alighnment, cone angle and leade and also thread crush. You should try your cyl first and then possably firelap the bbl if your results arent better. Haven't had one yet that it hasn't helped. A good trigger job doesn't hurt either.

Offline bigdaddytacp

• Avid Poster
Re: premium barrels
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 12:02:19 PM »
Quote from: AkRvrrat
Hello to all! My first thread. Question! I have this Ruger Bisley .45LC - not at all a straightshooter as my SRH .454. Measured cylinder throats -5@.4485" and 1@ .449" - sent the cylinder to be reamed. Suppose I could have bought a 70.00 reamer and some pilots at extra cost but I have just this .45  Anyway to what advantage is a lets say a Douglas Premium barrel opposed to the stock Ruger barrel? Is there when all things considered a more accurate barrel from Douglas? I did not by the way slugg the barrel - I did use a Enco Telescoping Gage and a digital caliper and both measured barrel at .450" - not correct I know. I have a soft lead being sent to me to identify the proper bore size. Like I asked what is with the supposed better barrels? Is there actually anything to gain other than saying " this is a Douglas Barrel" on my pistol?
.......The Douglas/aftermarket barrel is USUALLY more consistant in the bore diameter and rifling twist rate........the maker just makes barrels and not all the hundreds of parts for the whole gun......AND a good pistolsmith can fit the barrel to the frame for that paticular frame and cly and not just to a "standard" of the factory........the forcing cone can be smoother and better angled and centered and cly gap set to the best? size...........SOME factory barrels are great and fit perfect......BUT some are at the extremes of tolerances......proper fitting and cutting of the replacement barrel really makes the difference.......and you can pick the "tightness" of the barrel for the cleaned up cly and type of bullets you want to shoot most....jacketed or lead.........the smith makes a big difference.....hth..good luck and good shootint!!!