Author Topic: Best all Around deer rifle?  (Read 9273 times)

Offline savageT

• Trade Count: (0)
Best all Around deer rifle?
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2004, 01:05:39 PM »
Quote from: tosainu1
Mine would be a remington model 700 Titanium in .260 remington with a compact 4x model leupold. I am looking for a Savage 99 in 30-30 with the 26" barrel....Got one of those SavageT???? Anybody???

Nope, not anymore....Tried to buy it back many years ago.  Try <wishlist@GunsAmerica.com>
Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2004, 05:16:13 AM »
For me my scoped lupold 300 Savage model 99, has taken many deer for me over the years, they never had one take more than a few steps, nice and light to carry as well.Light recoil.  A perfect deer rifle cart. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2004, 06:24:34 PM »
I believe the 06 would be the all around gun,  but I have to put in the
    30-30,  being  retired Military,  I have toted that lil gun around this
    country,  it   Has taken whitetails in Mich,  Ga,  Wisconsin,  Texas,
    Mule deer here in Wa state,  (blacktails also)  and for good measure
    3 Elk in Western Wa.   That was before I was told the 30-30 is
   an inadequate gun for elk.   its been a few places,  I am now
    enjoying  this 45/70,  but my heart belongs to  the lil Winnie.
30-30....45/70...... does anything else matter?

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2004, 08:43:52 AM »
There's something about the simplicity of the good ol 30-30 thats does it for me. Its more than enough gun for any deer.

I don't really know what it is about this cartridge. Maybe because I tend to be contra in my approach to these questions. The rifle and cartridge companies are allways pushing faster and harder hitting loads. But the 30-30 just keeps proding along. There must be a reason ! There must be ! Maybe, its because it just plain old fashion -- does the job well.

I agree with some of the other posts here on the 30-30. It can kill anything NA can put in front of you with maybe the exception of a large grizz.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline hillbilly

« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2004, 03:55:44 PM »
it seems we all (most anyway) love our 30-06 me included but right now my favourite gun for deer (moose, elk etc) is my 338winchester mag in a ruger m77 mk1 one shot, boom dead deer yes i know it's all shot placement take out the vitals any any thing will die the 338 just takes out more vitals :grin:
hillbilly

"mister, we deal in lead"
Steve McQueen
the magnificent seven

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2004, 01:08:15 PM »
My favorite deer rifle is my Ruger M77 7mm Mag.
If I ever buy another rifle for hunting it will be another Ruger or a Remington chambered in either 7mm08 or 260 remington as for now I love my 7mag.

WD45 is right...any gun that does not collect dust...you gotta shoot it to be able to hunt with it.
It is VERY IMPORTANT to practice from awkward positions and any position you might encounter hunting...my Dad once tied me upside-down and told me if I could shoot that way I can shoot anyway.And I did, and can.
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2004, 01:21:42 PM »
pre-64 mod 70 in .270 or 30-06... people can work on them, you can buy ammo in gas stations, classic lines, american made...

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2004, 01:31:27 PM »
I would have to go with a 30-06 or .308 for a deer rifle.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2004, 05:03:14 PM »
Well, even though I'm outnumbered I'll say it; my .243 cleanly killed my first 8-point buck at 30 yds. But I'd have to agree w/ the rest of these gentlemen now. If I had a choice of caliber, .270 would be the way to go!
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2004, 07:22:34 AM »
Well I just ended up with two Remington 7600's in 270 win. Used 270's in the past a lot and really liked them. I always wanted to try a pump action rifle. I have owned a lot of different rifles and have to say the 7600 pump seems like the perfect canidate for all around deer rifle.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
best all round deer rifle
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2004, 12:45:25 PM »
My 6.5x55 swede witha 4x fixed Leopold has over 30  blacktails to its credit.It just seems to be about right for my hunting- typically close shots but the occasional across a logging slash shot.The 139 gr bullet does it's job if I hold it straight.I've taken a few black bear as well- one broadside shoulder shot and they're down.The 6.5 doesn't kick much and it's ballistics pretty well match a 270 after 100 yards.And I paid $69 for it years ago, took it home, cut the barrel to 22 inches, took a lot of wood off had the bolt turned down and it drilled and tapped for a scope.

Offline VFC-13

« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2004, 01:37:53 AM »
I like my Savage .308 for deer..another favorite  is the Marlin 336 in .35 Rem..

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2004, 05:05:13 PM »
I have taken deer with at least 20 different rifles and calibers. I have shot a lot of deer with the 308 and 30-06. A few with a 300 Win Mag. A few with the 280 Remington. But the most by far have been with my 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. If there is a BETTER deer cartridge, I have not found it. I expect whith everything considered a computer would pick the 270 Winchester as the perfect all around deer rifle.
shot placement is everything.

Offline .308sniper

• Contributor
  • happiness is a steaming gut pile.
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2005, 01:50:53 AM »
Get an Encore! You can hunt everywhere. Get a muzzeloader barrel a shotgun barrel and a deer caliber of your choice.

.308sniper
have fun! get it done with a 308.

Offline Robert

« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2005, 05:34:40 AM »
Put on a blindfold, toss a coin into the air, turn around 3 times, and reach into your safe and grab something.  I usually just sit on a stump and watch the sunset, eat an apple, have a beer, read a book, and look around every now and then.  When the deer walks up, I shoot it....dosen't matter what rifle/pistol or cartridge I happen to have.
....make it count

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2005, 05:49:59 AM »
Robert... :)  :-D  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2005, 10:20:52 AM »
I like the 30-06 and 12ga with a rifled choke, in a combo gun.

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2005, 12:25:41 PM »
Quote from: Robert
Put on a blindfold, toss a coin into the air, turn around 3 times, and reach into your safe and grab something.  I usually just sit on a stump and watch the sunset, eat an apple, have a beer, read a book, and look around every now and then.  When the deer walks up, I shoot it....dosen't matter what rifle/pistol or cartridge I happen to have.

:)  :-D
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2005, 03:20:41 AM »
Quote from: Rmouleart
For me my scoped lupold 300 Savage model 99, has taken many deer for me over the years, they never had one take more than a few steps, nice and light to carry as well.Light recoil.  A perfect deer rifle cart. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

Nice to see another lover of the savage 99 ( your choice of Cal) alive and well in the upper reaches of the US.
  My Sav 300R will be looking for it`s first kill with me this year as i just got it some months ago. Lucky me!  
  Think i`ll try the 150 grain to see how it does. I know one thing  these guns(Sav 99) are to dam(N) hard to come by so you can bet i`ll be extra carefull crashing around the woods.
  Lots of guys use lots of different guns/cal to hunt with but IMHO, Any Savage99 (pre-mil)  has to be in the mix.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Camper

« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2005, 10:23:22 AM »
.300 savage, 30- 30 Winchester, and the 32 Winchester Special all have Classic written all over them and all worked for me!

I like the .300 savage out of the 3 but does it really make any difference if you are shooting under a 100 yards?

Question for Savage .250

You wrote
 "Any Savage99 (pre-mil)"

this may sound silly but
what do you mean by Pre-Mil?

Camper

Offline savageT

« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2005, 10:45:38 AM »
Camper,
To Savage .250's statement about pre-Mil.........He's referring to the serial number of the  model 99 lever Savages....... a general down-turn  in quality.

In 1963 under new management: Savage Arms Corp became a devision of the Emhart Corporation, involved in hardware, glass, glass-making machinery, packaging machinery, and refrigeration equipment.  You see, after deciding that the cost of making the original design was becoming prohibitive. the company redesigned the action and stocks to "improve" the "bottom line" and in 1965 The new Savage 99- the first major change to the original 1899 design; added a detachable box magazine with a push-release button on receiver right-hand side- impressed checkering added to all models at this time (except PE).

Jim
......from Murray's "The Ninety-Nine A History of the Savage Model 99 Rifle.
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2005, 11:40:11 AM »
Quote from: Camper
.300 savage, 30- 30 Winchester, and the 32 Winchester Special all have Classic written all over them and all worked for me!

I like the .300 savage out of the 3 but does it really make any difference if you are shooting under a 100 yards?

Question for Savage .250

You wrote
 "Any Savage99 (pre-mil)"

this may sound silly but
what do you mean by Pre-Mil?

Camper

Not at all.  (Pre-Mil)  is pre one million serial #. There is another site
    that deals with Savage 99`s only.  Great site for a 99 lover. It`s a forum like this and has knowledgeable folks on it like this one does.  You can find everything you EVER wanted to know about a 99 on it. Great reading.

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2005, 11:46:30 AM »
SavageT:   I missed you explaination.  Snooze you lose.  Thanks for the back-up.

Offline newdad

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2005, 08:34:29 AM »
my vote goes to my 45-70.when you punch holes that big in a deer they dont run off.for quick shots in brushy country i use my 44 mag with light hollow points.penetrate one side and destroy vitals deer are dead instantly. have taken 10 deer with this gun and they have never made another step.

Offline kenscot

• Contributor
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2005, 02:40:43 PM »
Well if I had to pick a rifle to hunt deer coast to coast it would be my stainless stalker in 270 win