Author Topic: using NON-sabot slugs in tracker.....  (Read 679 times)

Offline ebonitekid767

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
using NON-sabot slugs in tracker.....
« on: February 06, 2005, 10:09:48 AM »
can you get some good accuracy with the tracker and just rifled slugs?cause it says it has a rifled barrel and federal classic slugs say RIFLED slugs on it.....anyone try it?

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 11:11:43 AM »
You will probably get OK accuracy for a few shots, but as the rifling get leaded the accuracy will diminish and it will be a pain to clean out. That being said a lot of folks use cheap slugs in the sighting proccess,kust to get on the paper. If you want to shot cheap rifled slugs just find a smooth bore barrel and blast away. I wanted to do this so I bought a used barrel and chopped it to 22" and it is a good 50yard slug gun. It has become the gun that stays in the truck and goes with me any time I'm just out walkin in the woods.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Leftoverdj

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 04:13:12 PM »
Yeah, you can do it. You can even do it with minimal leading. Set your slugs on end and add 2-3 drops of Liquid Alox to the nose of each. Give them a day or two to dry. The LA will wick down and lube the slugs.

I mostly shoot my own handloads so I can lube the slug before loading. I don't have any problem with leading.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 07:19:09 AM »
Hmmm....That's a neat idea with the Liquid Alox...I never thought of that.  That Alox smells good...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 01:50:19 AM »
Please go through your process of shortening say, a full choke to 22"!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 11:19:12 AM »
The correct proccess probably in volves a trip to a gunsmith with the right tools and skills to gut it, recrown and reinstall the bead. Now for the cheap redneck proccess. I used a regular hacksaw and cut it as straight as I could by hand. Then to even it out i gently and a little at a time used the side of the wheel on a bench grinder to even it up. Next I used a small rat tail file to knock some of the burrs off. Fininished up by buffing with a wire wheel. I did'nt put the bead back on yet. I touched up the bare metal with cold blue from walmart. I took it out to the farm and shot 3 2 3/4" cheap remington slugs into a 6" group off hand at 50 yards. I gave up on installing the bead. I've had a blast shooting this gun. I've duplicated these results a number of times and would be more than cofortable using this as a 50 yard hunting gun. It has become my constant companion.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
MM
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 06:27:43 AM »
I GET BETTER RESULTS WITH A PIPE CUTTER IT DONT TAKE ALL THE CHOKE OUT ....JB

Offline RugerNo3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 02:46:00 PM »
If someone cares to handload some heavy duty slugs, he might try some Dixie Terminators.
The owner has some good credentials. I only know him from some boards we've posted on and belong to.

www.dixieslugs.com/
"Use a big enough gun!"