Author Topic: Nuthin' but the bead  (Read 684 times)

Offline tennesseejeff

• Trade Count: (0)
Nuthin' but the bead
« on: February 17, 2005, 05:48:34 AM »
Took my Pardner 20 to the range last Saturday and shot some Brenneke 2 3/4 Magnum slugs. I was having too much fun to pay much attention to technique, but I need to work on aiming. I was thinking for a "sight picture", I might try placing the bottom of the bead (where it meets the barrel) on top of the receiver. The shots I fired  from a rest seemed to group pretty well, but about 5 inches high at 50 yards. I had the bead on the center of the target. The offhand shots were, ummm, a bit more scattered. I also thought about putting a thin strip of white tape on the receiver for windage. Do you guys that shoot slugs through a smoothbore with bead sights have a technique for aiming that works for you?

Offline RedRyder21

• Avid Poster
Nuthin' but the bead
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 05:59:10 AM »
Friday I will have time to take my new Pardner 12 gauge to the range to try with some sligs and a bead site. Hopefully I will have time to make a range report.
I love shotguns! :cb2:

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Nuthin' but the bead
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 07:46:50 AM »
TJ, try a 6 o'clock hold and see if your slugs are hitting closer to the mark.  As far as putting tape on the barrel to help with the windage...Try it out...It may help.  But when you clean the gun you may remove the tape and have to replace it...There may be better options.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: Nuthin But...
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 11:31:17 AM »
You put it in a better question than I did.  I asked if using a 2 bead barrel would do the trick for elevation and windage.  Some of the more fancy pump guns have mid-beads mounted on them and I always wondered if that was the reason.  Any thoughts, ANYONE-ANYONE !
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline tennesseejeff

Nuthin' but the bead
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 12:49:03 PM »
WNY, I think you're right on the tape. If I can develop a good consistent hold that oughta be good enough.

Actually Cookieman, it was your post about the mid bead that got me to thinking about it a little more. Wouldn't a target match be a hoot? 50 yards offhand, smoothbore, bead sight and factory ammo.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
RE: Nuthin But...
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 01:02:06 PM »
I will need a little practice before I get into that!!  Haven't fired a shotgun in 20 years, just getting back into it.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Nuthin' but the bead
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 01:51:04 PM »
Try putting the top of the bead on the reciever (so you can only see the top portion) and aim for the center of your target. From the way I understood how you were sighting, this might put them right on target.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Nuthin' but the bead
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 03:11:09 PM »
This is a hard question to answer because every gun seems to shoot differently. I do different things with different guns. The old H&Rs had a notch in the receiver that i liked I don't know why they quit doing that. I have been thing about the idea of a smoothbore postal match for a while
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun