Author Topic: Scope for a Varmiter--NO NOTHING  (Read 837 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope for a Varmiter--NO NOTHING
« on: February 18, 2005, 01:52:29 AM »
Suggest a scope for a .223 Varmiter. Range too 400 yards. Use-as a target scope.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 01:57:06 AM »
With plenty of magnification to really reach out to the longer distances or to see the details necessary for accurate shots on small targets, the VX-II 6-18x40mm Adj. Obj. scope is an great choice for target shooters and varmint hunters alike.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Zachary

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 03:13:32 AM »
My vote would be the Elite 4200 4x-16x-40mm AO (or 50mm AO if you want a larger objective).

I own a few of these scopes and they are simply OUTSTANDING.

Zachary

Offline Squeeze

• Avid Poster
Budget
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 05:24:33 AM »
I am a big fan of Bushnell Elite, and Nikon Monarchs.  For scopes, with $300 to $400
dollars in the pocket to spend, they are where I look first.  Bushnell's Rainguard is
often the tie breaker.

Just yesterday, I placed an order with Jon, at the Optic Zone, for a 4-16x50 illuminated
dot Mueller scope.  My rifle slush fund is very low, and a new T-3 needs good glass.
I have heard some pretty good reviews, on this brand, and for $180, shipped to my
door, I found it hard to pass up.  It is an experiment, but I am hopeful it will turn out
to be a good choice for this rifle.  The new T-3 Lite, is chambered in .223 Rem, and
I intend to use it with reduced loads, as a night/twilight varminter, around country
residences.  The 50mm objective, and the illuminated dot reticle, should make this
combo strike fear in the hearts of flower munching rabbits, and ferel cats.

So to really make a recommendation, I would need to know your budget.  There
are many choices, in good optics, at different price points.  These would be mine
at the $400 price point, and I will soon know if the Mueller is worthy of my recommendation
at the $200 price point.  Under $200 it is a crap shoot.  There are good scopes out there,
for under $200, but I have found that quality can vary from scope to scope within
a same model from year to year.  I have had some Tasco, and Simmons, scopes,
for under $100 that were solid.  The clarity was fair, and they have held zero,
over my use of them.  Adjustments were sticky, and often needed a shot, or two,
to get them to settle in to a new adjustment, but once there, stayed there.
But I have had some dogs, in scopes under $200.  I have not had one problem
with Bushnell Elites, and Nikon Monarchs, regarding crisp repeatable adjustments,
and for that money, I expect that of scopes at this price point.  And clear and
bright, also is part of my expectations.  This leads me to my next point.  Not to
"diss" Redhawk1's Leupold recommendation, but my Leupold VX-II 4-12x40,
is a disappointment clarity wise.  I like the longer eye relief, for a heavy recoiling
rifle, but the price for that optics quality, is out of line, IMHO.  Since I have not
had a scope problem, with scopes above $200, the stellar customer service reputation
of Leupold has not factored into my buying decision.  When I do have a scope problem
I might change my mind, but up until now, this point is a non-starter for me.

Whatever your price point, you will want something in the 4-16x power range,
or even up to 6-24x.  I really like my Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40, on
my .22-250 Rem.  But a scope of this power is limited for close shots.  Also
mirage becomes an issue after about 16x, put that is not a scope related issue.
So, if you want long range small varminting, and target shooting, then I'd suggest
a variable that tops out around 20x to 24x.  If you want something more for
close to long ranges, from woodchuck sized varmints, and up , and for target shooting,
I find a 4-16x a good compromise.

Squeeze
Walk softly, and carry a 1911

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 07:50:46 AM »
Just so happens I have a new Remington XR-100 on order which I guess I'll get IF Remington ever gets around to shipping the first ones. This is brand new single shot rifle introduced for 2005. I plan to mount a Bushnell Elite 3200 7-21 scope on it. Yeah they too are brand new and not yet available. Hope both ship near end of this month or early next month.

I've used a good many scopes on such rifles to my satisfaction including Bushells, Tascos, Leupolds and Mueller also is making a pretty good choice or two altho I'd prefer them without the lighted dot for a pure target gun or for that matter even a day time use varmint gun. I'd really like to see them offered both with and without the lighted dot reticle.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline hunt127588

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 09:33:27 AM »
I put a Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20x44 AO with fine reticle (not duplex) on my Bushy Varminter. It's a nice scope but the eye needs to be aligned in the center of the optics to get a good view. Eye relief is more picky as well with the Nikons than with the Leupolds in my opinion. My Nikon is mounted in Leupold QRW medium rings on top of the riser blocks.

Offline redawg

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 11:30:41 AM »
I'll second Zachary's recommendation.  I have a 4-16x40 Elite 4200 and really like it.  I also have a 6.5-20x40 Vari-XIII and it's a good scope, but I don't know that I'd buy it again over a Nikon Monarch or an Elite 4200.  I got my Dad a Bushnell Legend for his 17HMR.  It's a good scope for the money.  It's a 5-15x40 with a mil-dot reticle.  I'd like to try a Mueller some time.  Heard alot of good things about them.  Let us know what you end up getting :D !

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.muelleroptics.com
Re: Scope for a Varmiter--NO NOTHING
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 11:05:20 AM »
Quote from: williamlayton
Suggest a scope for a .223 Varmiter. Range too 400 yards. Use-as a target scope.
Blessings

Being that you stated its going to be used for target shooting, we have a new 4-16x50AO mil-dot that will be avaibale soon or you can check with Jon at The Optic ZOne to see if he has any of the pre-production ones left.

The larger 50mm lens shouldnt be a concern if your just bench resting with it and its a "very" clear scope. It also utilizes a glass etched reticle which would come in very handy should you want to varmint hunt at low light..
Here the link to it.
http://www.muelleroptics.com/4-16x50IGR-Mil-Dot.htm

MO

Offline Ramrod

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 03:26:15 PM »
I really don't know why anyone needs a variable for targets or varmints. What are you going to do with 4x on a gun like this? Usually you crank it up to max and leave it there. A straight 12x or 16x seems like a better choice to me. I think 20x or 24x, while fine off a bench, are just about worthless in the field.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2005, 02:50:00 AM »
I am getting a good primary education on this thread. I hope you folks keep educating me.
MO--thanx fer that post and the applied refrence.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD