Author Topic: machined shime for loose barrels  (Read 433 times)

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
machined shime for loose barrels
« on: February 18, 2005, 07:32:53 AM »
I know in the past there had been some talk on this forum about shimming a loose barrel with aluminmum foil.  But a friend of mine is a machinist for NIST we got to talking last night about how this project would hold up to opening and closing the action.  He came over and we put one of my barrels on a reciver that was loose and shimmed it with the foil. I work the action open and close for about 10 minutes then took the gun apart and lord and behold the foil was all messed up.
So off to his work area at NIST.
He did a bunch of measurements on the barrel and ask if I had a penny in my pocket ??????
Ok yeah I alway carry change........ I pull out a penny and he processed to work the penny throught a press device he work it until it was within the measurement he took then he cut it down to fit the space on the barrel. and would you know the gun locked up tighter then a drum.
I worked the action open and closed for about 15-20 minutes then took the gun apart and there was no problem with the shim.

Even tho this barrel has a receiver it fix to,  it nice to know that there are ways to fix a loose fitting barrel.
I was so happy about this project I even bought him dinner last......
Yeah a $1.50 Happy hour pizza at our local watering hole.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 12:37:56 AM »
What do you think the eqipment cost to set up a shop like that would be? I am interested in producing these shims for profit?
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 01:57:31 PM »
Markus this was done at his job site at NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) so I guess the machine he was working with was pretty expensive.  But a cheap roll press and a few different mics shouldn't cost too much.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 04:21:36 PM »
The trouble with the written word is the lack of my sarcasticly humous tone. I think you'd have to know a lot of guys with loose guns and extra pennies to make the numbers work on that one.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 01:46:52 AM »
Oh ok got ya.........
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)