Author Topic: Model 73 Cap and Ball?  (Read 961 times)

Offline simonkenton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Model 73 Cap and Ball?
« on: February 15, 2005, 04:06:47 PM »
Has anybody tried one of these Peacemaker type guns? I see Dixie sells one by Pietta.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline Shorty

Model 73 Cap and Ball?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 12:59:57 PM »
They're a joke!  The makers are just trying to use their mass produced frames for an unrelated market.  They don't even have a loading lever!  If you want a cap & ball, get a real one!

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Model 73 Cap and Ball?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 01:46:24 PM »
I'll certainly have to cast my vote with Shorty.  Not having a loading lever makes loading a real chore.  If a cap-n-ball revolver is the goal then get just that.... there are lots of very good replicas on the market.  If you can see spending the extra bucks, the Ruger Old Army is in my never to be humble opinion the best revolver available today.  If you want one of those suppository loading things but can't see the price of a Honest to Sam Colt, take a look at the Ruger Vaquero... (yes, I do tend towards US made)
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline kjeff50cal

• Contributor
Model 73 Cap and Ball?
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 03:55:35 PM »
Those '73 Cap n' Ball revolvers were primary made for the Great Brittian market. It seems that to get around their (England's) draconian pistol laws, no private ownership of functional centrefire pistols or revolvers. The C&B 73s are permited because they use 'old tech' caps, loose BP and lead balls.
Ignorance leads us into the darkness, Knowlege leads us out.

Offline DakotaDan

1873 Peacemaker Cap n Ball's
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 07:47:25 AM »
:roll:  Doggone it, there's always gotta be someone who disagrees. This time it has to be me.  :)

I have a couple of these by Uberti. I love 'em. I also have Walkers, Navies and Armies, and I enjoy taking them all to the range.  With an extra cylinder loading is no problem, in fact, I don't need to worry about busting the loading arm like I do on the legitimate capnball revolvers.  Anyhow a hundred and thirty years ago they started to ruin perfectly good cap and ball revolvers with cartridge conversions, so turn around is fair play.   :wink:

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
Model 73 Cap and Ball?
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 09:58:35 AM »
Thanks for the good news Dakota Dan.
That is because I have ordered a Uberti Model 73 cap and ball.
Evidently Uberti no longer makes them, but I found one on gunsamerica.
A guy bought one from Cabelas in 1999, with extra cylinder and loading tool. He never fired it and it is still new in box.
Dixie sells them, by Pietta, but I decided I wanted to get a Uberti.
So tell me Dakota Dan, what size balls do you use?
Do these pistols work well? I have a Pietta 1860 Army and have a problem with spent caps jamming the works sometimes.
I know these pistols are mutants that never really existed in the 18th century, but what the hell I just decided I would get one.
I'll be honest with you, the 1860 Army, and the 1851 Navy are a little muzzle heavy for my liking, I think this gun will handle a little better for me. I bought the one with the 5 1/2 inch barrel.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline DakotaDan

1873 SAA
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 11:21:52 AM »
:grin:  Great glad to hear you got that one. If I won the lottery last week, I probably would have gone after it myself!

You will find that the balance of the 5.5" version is excellent. I used a bore laser to find actual point of aim and then got used to the sight picture. Now I can comfortably shoot accurately and didn't need to fiddle with the front sight. I use both .454 and .457 lead balls, with the smaller being slightly easier to load in. Usually I use 22 gr BP, but sometimes I fill it up. Even my wife can handle the recoil and it sounds great. Maybe one cap jam in 5 cylinder loads - not a big deal, just a cost of doing business. As far as I can tell, the frame is the stock cartridge frame, but of course has a modified firing pin and drive so someone can't convert it by dropping in a .45LC cylinder. I know cuz I tried it ----needs professional work for BP cartridge conversion. I use the "Gatefeo Protocol" when it comes to care and feeding and loading. Oh, and BTW, it usually gathers a bigger crowd at the range than the Walkers do!
 :D

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
Model 73 Cap and Ball?
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 12:05:12 PM »
I got it for $345 including shipping.
The guy paid $353 for it, so not too bad.
The Pietta from Dixie costs $345 for the gun and cylinder, but no loading tool, and plus shipping. Plus the extra cylinder from Dixie is not fluted, I didn't like that.
Do you have any problem with springs breaking? Sounds like you shoot it a lot.
I also use the Gatofeo shooting protocol. I love to melt that mutton tallow, beeswax, and paraffin.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline DakotaDan

Model 73 Cap and Ball?
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 12:47:58 PM »
Good price. A Uberti 1873 Capnball just sold today on Ebay for $275.00 without the cylinder. The cylinders run about $60-70 at VTIgunparts, so comparatively you did about $100 better.

I haven't had any trouble with broken parts. I have a 1999 and a 2002 version. Though I do plan to buy a supply of parts this year just in case.