Author Topic: Shiney revolver.......  (Read 618 times)

TM7

Shiney revolver.......
« on: March 05, 2005, 03:39:44 AM »
A couple days ago I was firing my 58 remmie. This one is a Pietta in the bright stainlesslike metal. They put a mirrorlike polish on this pistol and I've found it to be rather annoying. I doubt this replica will ever have any real value. So, I would like to soften or matt the finish on this revolver. Is that a bad idea, or how can I do that to look properly nice???

...thanx..........TM7

Offline ribbonstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Shiney revolver.......
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 07:11:10 AM »
Other than paying a gunsmith to bead-blast it (kind of like sand blasting, but with rounded bead material that leaves a softer finish) I don't know of a good nice-looking home brew textureizing process.  Anything done by hand leaves a pettern to it...just looks like you abused it rather than lkike it was meant to be there.

May be some acid etch process that would work...of coruse, you protect the bore and the inside of the chambers before doing this...but I've never used one on stainless.

Offline Shorty

Shiney revolver.......
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 11:52:15 AM »
TM7,
Since you're in the NE, there ought to be machine shops near you.  Most average size shops have a glass beader, and would charge you no more than a minimum one hour of work (it would take minutes to do).  If you're real nice, they might even do it gratis!  :wink:

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Shiney revolver.......
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 04:46:09 PM »
Is this a polished steel finish or actual stainless steel?
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member