Author Topic: Moose Hunting  (Read 1328 times)

Offline BoarHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Moose Hunting
« on: February 11, 2005, 02:16:31 AM »
With some european friends, I am looking about the possibilities to hunt moose, either in the US or in Canada.

I have been living in the US about 15 years ago in NJ where I hunted and also in Maine but never got a chance for moose.
In fact in Maine I saw a moose but did not have the tag   :cry:  !

How are the regulations and possibilities as of today.

Any serious outfitter to recommend (NOT CANNED hunt ) !

Thanks

Offline DakotaMike

Moose Hunting in Saskatchewan
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 02:34:26 PM »
Been hunting with John Carriere four times since 1984 and he always puts on a good camp and hunt. First three trips we filled all our tags, there was four of us in each trip. On the fourth trip there was six of us and two of the folks got shooting but didn't kill nothing. If you want to hunt with John you got to call this year to hunt in 2006. John only gets 16-20 moose permits a year and his repeat hunters take the tags pretty quick.

Carriere's Camps
John and Freida Carriere
Box 29
Cumberland  House, Saskatchewan
(306) 888-2098
dakotamike

Offline Ithaca1

Moose Hunting
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 02:57:29 AM »
How big of moose have you been shooting at that camp?  How long of hunt?  Did you use a bow?  What did the outfitter charge you for a hunt?

Offline DakotaMike

Saskatchewan Moose Hunts
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 04:09:43 PM »
Biggest moose I have taken out of John Carriere's camp was just a shade over 45". On our second hunt a friend of mine took one just over 50", that has proved to be the record among our group. On the first hunt we had with Carriere as we were packing in the group that was leaving had a moose over 57". These are seven day hunts, if the weather cooperates. Cost in 2005 is $2000 per hunter with two hunters per guide, includes the tag. If you go in October you can hunt black bear, John has taken several bear over 500lbs. The location is the islands north of Cumberland House, Sask. If you have a low tolerance to weather opt for the October hunts.
dakotamike

Offline BoarHunter

• Avid Poster
Moose Hunting
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 11:38:24 PM »
Thanks Dakota. Do they have any email or Internet site ?

Offline DakotaMike

Moose Hunting
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 03:36:42 PM »
To my knowledge John doesn't have an internet site. I plan on calling him this weekend to talk about our hunt in November and I will ask him.
dakotamike