Author Topic: Goldenrod Tea  (Read 1126 times)

Offline JPSaxMan

• Trade Count: (0)
Goldenrod Tea
« on: March 06, 2005, 11:31:57 AM »
Anybody ever try it? I have. You DEFINETLY need sugar in it!  :) . It is a very bland tea without it, nonetheless verges on disgusting without it. I even looked up on the history of the goldenrod leaf being used in tea. I read that the colonists used to drink this when they were boycotting the British East India tea. I have yet to try adding honey and/or lemon to it. I'll try it this season when the goldenrod sprouts up again.  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline jvs

• Trade Count: (2)
Goldenrod Tea
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 07:52:40 AM »
I try to stay as far away from Goldenrod as I can get.  Even though I see that there is no proof that goldenrod pollen is any worse than any other.  

From what I read on the net, it does have some use as a tea.  And some medicinal purposes in folk lore.  

I normally stay away from it.
 If you want to run with the Wolves, you can't Pee with the Puppies.

Offline JPSaxMan

• Trade Count: (0)
Goldenrod Tea
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 09:53:29 AM »
When I was a kid, I used to get severe headaches from what we thought was goldenrod. The only reason I tried it was because I read in a book (fictional) of how this old woman drank a cup of goldenrod tea every morning and outlived most of her doctors who told her to take all this medicine, and she didn't. So one day I passed a patch of goldenrod, hmm...picked some leaves, took em into the house put a pot of water on, threw the leaves in, boiled it and drank the contents (minus the leaves). Not bad, with sugar. Next time I'll try some lemon and honey, just to see wut it tastes like.  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline jvs

• Trade Count: (2)
Goldenrod Tea
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 10:36:43 AM »
You may want to search the net for information about possible side effects of goldenrod tea.  I don't know of any harmful side effects from it but I didn't look very far.  Folklore from around the world has goldenrod tea as a medicine for many different ailments.  The problem is nothing is written about what the dose is or how it affects the body in general.

Even modern science sees some attributes inside those leaves.  For me, making tea from wild plants is something left to the experts.  

Sometimes Scientific knowledge is gained by observing what kills other people.  Sort of like Survival of the Fittest.
 If you want to run with the Wolves, you can't Pee with the Puppies.