Author Topic: Barrel Leading ?  (Read 811 times)

Offline Doc Killpatient

• Trade Count: (0)
Barrel Leading ?
« on: February 16, 2005, 02:38:40 PM »
I recently purchased a new Springfield 1911 .45  I have been shooting this gun a lot (1600 rounds) in the last month.  I am casting my bullets from a Lee 6 cav 230 gr. tumble lube TC.  I use straight wheel weights with a little 50/50 solder added.  I size and lube with liquid Alox.  (lube, size, relube)  Every time I go to the range I end up with what I would consider decent amount of leading in the barrel.  Mostly near the chamber and on the top side of the barrel about 3/4 of the length of the barrel.  I am loading with 231 to about 750 fps.  I really like the load which will be used for competition.  My question is, What should I do first to reduce the leading?  More Alox?  Don't size and shoot as cast?  Try to harden my mix with water quenching or heat treating?  Any suggestions would be helpful.  I can live with a little leading but this is getting old quickly and have absolutely no desire to shoot jacketed bullets.  I love to cast my own and still have a lot learn.  Sorry for the long post and thanks again for the tips.

Doc
You gonna do something or just stand there and bleed!

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Barrel Leading ?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 03:18:44 PM »
If you can freely chamber a round with an as-cast bullet seated, (it's helpful to make sure your expander plug is big enough so you don't size the bullets while seating them) I'd try that first. Your alloy isn't too hard assuming you're air cooling the bullets (not water dropping them) and Lee tumble lube works, so your most likely culprit is bullets too small.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Duffy

• A Real Regular
Barrel Leading ?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 05:35:33 PM »
Also try just straight WW on a few.

Offline Lvl1trauma

Leading
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 01:29:39 PM »
I may take a hit from others on this but it has been my experience that a significant part of leading in pistol rounds is the quality of the barrel. Case in point- I have 2 Kart barreled .45's. They are mirror smooth on the inside. I have to work hard to make them lead. Have used both hard and soft bullets and lube. Extremely small amount of leading. It is easy to blame the bullet fit (which in some cases is the culpret when too small) or alloy but .45 barrels are just about all uniform. Any .452 sized bullet will work. If you are leading that fast I would strongly suggest getting a fire lapping kit. Your alloy is perfect for your .45. Nothing wrong with tumble lube at your velocity.

Lvl1trauma

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
Barrel Leading ?
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 12:38:13 PM »
Doc.
straight WW are plenty rich in tin and antimony for a .45. instead of adding more tin add 3# of lead  to 10# WW instead. Try it Doc and see what happens and let me know if your lead problem gets better.

Kurt
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Doc Killpatient

Barrel Leading ?
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 03:09:23 PM »
I will do a few experiments and let you know.  My pistol is getting some work done with my local smith, I should have it back in a few days, I will keep you guys updated.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Doc
You gonna do something or just stand there and bleed!