Poll

Do you trust yourself to carry a loaded firearm?

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: February 18, 2005, 12:14:36 AM

Author Topic: Concealed Carry Poll Question  (Read 1743 times)

Offline mag41vance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Concealed Carry Poll Question
« on: February 18, 2005, 12:14:36 AM »
Do you trust yourself to be in possession of a loaded firearm?
 Personally I believe every law abiding American has the right to own and carry and it is sad that permits are required in a free country for either.
 I have stated on many occasion " I'm glad I didn't have a gun with me for that episode"
  What is your opinion?
no x now!

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 03:19:25 AM »
TRUST MYSELF?  You can't be serious!  I've carried since I was 13 years old.  If you don't trust yourself you have issues that need to be settled before you continue life in general. :roll:

Offline BamBams

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 04:15:17 AM »
Well ya can't put it more bluntly than that, and you're 100% correct.  Firearms possession is not for the mentally unstable or people with anger management difficulties.  It is a recipe for trouble.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 07:39:43 AM »
This is a much deeper question than it may appear and if you have not/do not understand those questions then maybe it would be best to address them.
It is more than rights folks.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 11:31:59 AM »
Well I've kept guns in the house for the past 20 years and have not, either intentionally or accidentally, shot myself, my wife or my kid yet.  According to the anti-gun liberals us gun nuts are 10 times as likely to shoot a family member as we are to shoot a burglar (yeah right).  So given my track record so far I guess I can trust myself out on the street with a loaded gun.  :wink:  :-D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 12:24:43 PM »
My non-military family members and in-laws think I am crazy for feeling uncomfortable without a gun.  I feel uneasy without one, it is kinda hard to explain.  I guess when you marry one and she has had to protect your life before, it's kinda hard to live without here.  Let me tell you, Out of all the guns I own, I feel most comfortable with an AR.  I carry my glock consistently, but I know an AR and I trust an AR (and variants of course).

SAW
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 02:21:39 PM »
I carry.  I hunt.  I trust me.  (I think)   :shock:

Quote from: BamBams
Firearms possession is not for the mentally unstable or people with anger management difficulties.

Yeah, but who gets to decide who those folks are?

According to the democrats, ALL gun owners are crazy.
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline NYH1

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 05:36:18 PM »
The only person in this world that I trust more then I trust myself is my father (if you knew him you'd understand why). To answer the question......I carry a pistol quite often. I carry either a clock G-22 or a G-27 both in 40 S&W. I like the G-22 better, because it fits me a little better, but the G-27 conceals better. When I carry, I carry RED HOT with a full magazine and one in the chamber. Thats if the gun is on my hip or on my immediate person. If its in the glove box or console and I'm driving, I keep a loaded magazine in it but don't keep one in the chamber. I'm the only one that has access to my guns. I know how they are left every time I look at them. I still check them as if I've never seen them before. Its that way every time. On my semi-auto pistol's I dump the magazine and then make sure the chamber is clear, in that order, every single time. Also when I do carry nobody knows except for me and my wife if she's with me. So yes I trust myself !!!!
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 06:57:45 PM »
I would feel naked without my gun. I carry all the time.  :D  If you can't trust yourself, who can you trust.  :-)
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline jhm

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2005, 04:45:24 AM »
Yes! Nuff said. :D    JIM

Offline fe352v8

• A Real Regular
  • Evolve or become extinct
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2005, 11:05:51 AM »
With the right to bear arms comes a responsibility.  Personally I believe it should be your right to carry a weapon, after all the 2nd amendment does state keep and bear.  With that said I also feel that a person who chooses to go armed owes the public a responsibility to be able to demonstrate proficiency in the use of the weapon, as well as a knowledge of situations appropriate for the use of the weapon.

life is no joke but funny things happen

jon
life is no joke but funny things happen

jon

Offline Num_1_Dad

• http://www.tuxrules.com/penguin
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2005, 02:00:41 PM »
I have yet run into a situation where I wished I had a gun because my anger over-ruled my common sense. I have always been able to see the situation for what it is and not a place to go shootin' because something didn't work out the way it should or someone else was being stupid. I feel more than enough comfortable carrying a loaded weapon without worrying if I am going to go off half-cocked.
Visit my forum at www.tuxrules.com/penguin to get the latest php forum board's with built in MOD's!
Or my forum www.tuxrules.com/discussion

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2005, 02:01:32 PM »
I would think this poll would be more accurate if everyone that viewed it voted. So far it looks as if only the ones that trust themselves have voted.

Don't be afraid to be honest about it folks.
no x now!

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2005, 12:48:43 PM »
I voted!

I carry sometimes but always trust myself - Just don't feel its necessary all the time.

Bearing arms is both our right, but you can choose not to carry and its OK by me.

PS:  btw - Don't like even the thought that I would have to prove I'm worthy to have the right to bear arms and none of you guys need to fall in that trap either!
    Ray

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2005, 02:39:13 AM »
I trust me to carry properly. For example if I'm going to have a few beers I will leave my carry at home. I won't drive after one drink and won't handle a firearm either. (I have a few once a week) ANY other time I am armed. I do however cary my primary semi cocked but with a empty chamber and full mag. I feel fine carrying this way and am confident that I can rack one quick enough. BTW I carry this way because of a very active lifestyle and often have to remove  primary for short peroids. Seems everywhere I go I have to climb under someones car to look at something, change oil, check for leaks or under mom's sink to check for a mouse or leak, attics, basements ect. I wont drag my Para 12/45 on the pavement. When I remove my pistol I take the mag and put it in my pocket. On the other hand when I have to be in one of those places where trouble is more likely I do carry ready.
Rick

Offline Mauser

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2005, 05:26:56 AM »
I think it is a perfectly legitimate question even for those who routinely use guns.  It's one thing to use guns on the weekends while hunting or plinking or whatever but quite another thing to constantly carry one.  One could never forget they have a gun on them.  I'm a supporter of concealed carry laws but do not doubt there are those who might be a little absent-minded or negligent who shouldn't carry.

I just don't think the government should tell us who those people are.

Offline tomaldridge

Carrying and the potential for the Use of Deadly Force
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2005, 05:52:04 AM »
Gents, this ain't fashion or political statements you're talking about here.   Forget about impressing the girls, or stopping a fight because someone's scared of your weapon.   Think about society's requirements for the Use of Deadly Force.  Generally, your life or another person's life must be in imminent danger before Deady Force is appropriate.  A jury will also consider your physical size, condition, training, etc.  It's certainly better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.  Still, picture yourself on page one of the newspaper...  Picture yourself in court, fighting to keep all you have worked for.... Picture yourself awake at night, remembering....

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2005, 05:57:23 AM »
Tom...buddy...sit down and relax, dude.

I don't think we have any gunslingers in the bunch.

Maybe the issue of "trust" should have been expounded upon...?
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2005, 06:57:15 AM »
I wasn't setting out to prove anything by this poll. I was just wondering how many felt like that carrying wasn't always the best thing.

Training and certification is required here in VA.

If you weren't required to have a license to carry I believe crime would go down in a big way.
 It's kinda like having the bomb. Respect is instant.

Trusting yourself is somewhat ambiguous in this poll question.

Trust in that you won't act in anger should have been the qualifier.
no x now!

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2005, 08:47:27 AM »
Trust that I won't act in anger?  Believe me, when put in a situation where my life or the life of someone around me is threatened, I will be angry, and I will take necessary action.  I feel that anyone who is not willing to make such a definitive statement and have the backbone to stand behind it does not deserve the right to carry.  After all, what purpose could it serve?  Our second amendment right was put there to afford us protection from those who would overtake us.  

As I said in my first response to this thread, Anyone who doesn't "trust" in themselves enough to make correct decisions about their own defense or the defense of others around them has issues, and firearms were never intended to cure decision making issues.

Offline powderman

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2005, 09:13:19 AM »
I don't carry all of the time, but do quite often. We occasionally go to a theater several miles away. There are gangs and other worthless punks in that area and there are always several hanging around outside after dark. I have carried the last several trips there. The only thing that changed was the knowledge and confidence that I could control a bad situation should it arise. We still walked well around them making sure not to aggravate the scum. Being armed does NOT mean it's ok to be stupid and kick a sleeping dog. A concealed carry license is not a license to kill. There is a huge responsibility that goes with it, common sense should always be used. I've seen a couple of instances where there are people who had a CCW, but had no common sense, they seemed to think that the license gave them immunity to the laws. Not everybody should carry. I'd love to see reciprocity in every state of the union. My KY license is legal in many, if not most states with similar laws. It really bothers me when I visit my Mom in Ill that legally I can't even have my pistol in the glove box, I do anyway. Hopefully common sense will prevail someday. POWDERMAN.  :D  :D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline tomaldridge

My apologies
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2005, 08:05:28 AM »
Apologies to all.  I keep forgetting about the demographics.  With all the hunters and shooters, this place is a major breeding ground for common sense. Mine just slipped a touch.

Offline Lost Okie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2005, 01:36:14 PM »
Live in Indiana, Concealed Carry permits are recommended by most police depts over the range permits.  Wife carries, I carry.  Not required but have attended the NRA CC training at the local gun club.  The number of people in this state with CCP's would amaze you.  I would rather have one an not need it as to not have and need.  HR Manager does not like guns but she supports the right...we are allowed firearms in our vehicle on company property, just not in the plant.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2005, 07:00:54 AM »
I have a CDW permit and I carry regularly, I dont carry because I fell the need to or am afraid of what may or may not happen, I feel that by getting my permit shows support of my rights to carry. Here in KY you can carry openly anywhere withen reason,(NO schools Fedral buildings etc)So you don't really need a permit But by carring concealed you don't upset the sheep and still lets the state know you want to keep your firearm.

Do I trust myself ? YES, I have always trusted myself and I hope I always will. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Don Fischer

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2005, 03:22:40 PM »
Ya know what we really need is a new concelled carry law. One that say's everyone can carry without a license except the bad guy's. They have to take a class and get a lisence. If they don't, we're gonna put the survivor's on probation with a target glued to their forehead.

Someone tell me why it is that our legislator's come up with law's to restrict the law abiding and our judge's find excuses to pardon or place on probation the bad guy's?
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2005, 03:38:28 PM »
Quote from: Don Fischer
Ya know what we really need is a new concelled carry law. One that say's everyone can carry without a license except the bad guy's. They have to take a class and get a lisence. If they don't, we're gonna put the survivor's on probation with a target glued to their forehead.

Someone tell me why it is that our legislator's come up with law's to restrict the law abiding and our judge's find excuses to pardon or place on probation the bad guy's?

WHAT HE SAID X 2! :mrgreen:

Good points Don!
    Ray

Offline Bob Hurley

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2005, 01:02:38 PM »
Quote from: Old Syko
...Believe me, when put in a situation where my life or the life of someone around me is threatened, I will be angry, and I will take necessary action.  ...

Nope, I'll leave the anger to the young bucks.

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2005, 02:43:58 AM »
I'm not sure anyone has mentioned this so I will. We can train for the worst and hope for the best but no one actually can predict how we will act during an emergency. Some of y'all know what I'm talking about. It would be great to be able to say exactly what our responses would be but they cannot be garenteed. Let me give an example or two. You see a car accident, people trapped, gas tank leaking....what would you do? I can only tell you how it was for me. There was no thinking, just reaction, I could not stop, it was like watching TV. I jumped on the side of the pickup, it was laying off in a steep ditch. I stood on the damaged door and with everything I had I tore it open and pulled three elderly folks, one at a time, and carried them up 20 foot of bank. All this time I was getting very angry because more than 20 people were standing and watching, not helping, including my friend who was with me. When I had all three of them safe I realized my pants were gas soaked and my shirt, face and arms were bloody. Did I plan on reacting like that? NO. It just happened. I suspect firemen and police train to react in a piticular way. Sadly I have had to pull my weapon a few times. I have not had to pull the trigger on a human.  During those times I would like to think my auto response brain realized it was not an absolute to shoot, eventhough one would have been justified. Two dog attacks...no thinking, just shots. I'm not sure any of us can be 100% about stressful times.
Just some thoughts, Rick 8)

Offline tbull55

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2005, 07:39:16 AM »
I have only had my CCW for a short period of time (5 months).  After taking the class and reading some of the recommended reading material, I find myself making a lot smarter decisions now.  I realize the responsibility that comes with carrying.  Before when I would be out somewhere (not carrying) I would sometimes have the attitude of taking no crap from anyone and was not scared of the passing eye contact stare down (I'm a pretty good sized fella) I Thought I could take care of myself.  Now I am married and I carry.  Not to say I don't make eye contact and shy away like a sheep, but I do things differently now.  I find myself recognising and avoiding potential problems when before I would say what ever happens, happens and I'm not changing what I do or where I walk.  I do not carry at work (firearms are not allowed) I carry mostly any other time.  I do feel better knowing that if I was put in a situation that warranted a pistol I would at least prepared as much as one can be.  Therefore I believe carrying has infact helped me make better decisions.  It could be that I have gotten married to a wonderful woman and grown up a bit :?

Just my two cents.

Tbull55
Duct Tape is like the force!
It has a light side.
It has a dark side.
And it holds the universe together!
:D