Author Topic: Primer Ignition Problem  (Read 518 times)

Offline flamenblaster

• Trade Count: (0)
Primer Ignition Problem
« on: February 21, 2005, 03:52:45 PM »
Hi All

Im new to c&b shooting and to this forum as well. I just bought a Pietta 1860 from Cabella's and fired it for the first time today. The CCI #10's i used wouldnt fire till I dropped the hammer on them the second time, then fired fine. After my first attempt they had a slight indent on them...after they fired on the second attemt the indentation was much more pronounced. Could the spring in my gun be to light?? Or could the CCI's be to Hard??..or a little of both?

I love the gun...sights need work though...shot 2" high and 2" left at 30 or so feet with 25 gr pyrodex p..2" high and 5" !!! left at 30 gr....then 2" high and 2" left with 35gr...but with much more recoil...looked like it could hold a little more powder but 35 was as much as i wanted to try as it really got fierce at that level. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Good friends will come, and good friends will go...but jerks will just accumulate.

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
Primer Ignition Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 05:41:10 AM »
10's are too small and are not seating flush.   I use CCI #11's, BUT, if you check the nipples you'll find that they're not consistent in size.  Some may be bigger or longer than others.  Piettas seem notorious for this problem.  I had inconsistent ignition even with 11's.  For a quick fix, chuck the larger nipples in a drill motor and run them on a flat file.  Start by taking off only the blueing and test the fit of the caps as you go.  You can also switch to another brand of caps or buy Treso nipples from www.thunder-ridge-muzzleloading.com.

60's shoot high.  It's their nature.  Mine shoot 6" high at 35 ft.  Some have reworked their sights to correct this either by taking a Dremel tool or jewelers file to the hammer sight or resoldering a higher front sight.
Singing Bear

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Primer Ignition Problem
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 05:56:48 AM »
You'll have better results accuracy wise once you get consistent ignition.
Use #11 caps which should be easy enough to find. Once the gun is lighting off properly, you can work on trigger let off and sight picture and
see what the gun is really grouping like. I would get the proper size caps before I altered the cones or changed them.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline flamenblaster

Primer Ignition Problem
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 02:32:14 AM »
Thanks for the info...I purchased a set of treso nipples from thunder ridge but havent received them yet. Been out shooting a second time and tried out an idea i had  capped the nipples before loading then cycled through them, dropping the hammer on each one. I then loaded up and had no misfires at all...fired about a hundred shots this way. I wasnt crazy about loading with caps on but it didnt seem abnormaly dangerous with the hammer on half cock, paying close attention to what i was doing. It did confirm to me that the CCI 10,s arent seating on the factory nipples very well..unfortunatly i bought a thousand of them and still have about 850 or so. Havent tried 11's yet but i will when I get the treso's

Also discovered that after 4 cylinders without cleaning the gun gets iratic..functions fine but instead of fairly tight groups they are all over the target..must be fouling in the rifling i figure..at least i know it can shoot with a lil sight work..thats next :grin: Thanx for the help guys!
Good friends will come, and good friends will go...but jerks will just accumulate.