Author Topic: Ruger SRH do-it-yourself trigger spring change  (Read 614 times)

Offline jk3006

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
Ruger SRH do-it-yourself trigger spring change
« on: March 26, 2005, 04:18:38 PM »
I'd like to lighten up the action and trigger pull on my SRH.  Are there a step-by-step directions anywhere that I can follow?

Thanks,

Jon

Offline mr.frosty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Ruger SRH do-it-yourself trigger spring cha
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 06:29:23 PM »
I would like to do the same thing, MidwayUSA has a wolff spring kits for the SRH. Midway was the first to come to mind so just keep looking
and let me know cause i fergit sometimes
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline BCB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 12:04:31 AM »
Here is the website to Wolff Springs.  I changed the trigger and hammer springs in my SRH and it made a world of difference.  I certainly have not special skills when it comes to doing gunsmith work.  They are not that difficult to change.  I changed them in my Security-Six also.  Good-luck...BCB

http://www.gunsprings.com/

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 01:06:48 AM »
Remove the grip panels.  Using a strong pin, insert it into the hole on the hammer strut and cock the hammer.  Remove the hammer spring/strut assembly.  Take out the screws holding the gripframe on and carefully remove the gripframe (watch for a couple tiny springs).  take note which screws go where.  Swap out the trigger springs.  Reassembly in in reverse order.  be sure not to forget the small springs/plungers.  You could also change the hammer spring as well.  Just need to compress the factory hammer spring , remove the pin, and slowly release the spring, swap them and compress to replace the pin.  Re-insert it back into the gripframe and after relacing the grips, you're done!
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 01:40:56 AM »
As BlkHawk73 says!!!  One other tip--I did mine of a white towel using an adjustable light.  That way the small springs, and yes, I now remember the plunger! are highly visable.  Good-luck...BCB

Offline jk3006

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 03:55:36 AM »
I didn't know Midway sold the Wolf springs.  That's great!  I'll just tack it onto my next order.  

BlkHawk73 and others, thanks for the instructions.  It doesn't sound too difficult.  My action has already been smoothed up by the 'smith, but he never put lighter springs in it.  I just got a 686 with a four inch barrel.  Before I picked it up I had the 'smith (different 'smith) smooth it up and put lighter springs in it.  I shot both handguns yesterday, and now I really see that I'm gonna have to do something with the Ruger.

Appreciate it,

Jon

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 05:15:29 AM »
Whoops!  Just realized I screwed up.  :x   I was thinking Ruger SA not one of thier DA's.  I've done both but was a long time ago  did my DA.  fairly straitforward as I recall.
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline sawfish

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 10:35:46 AM »
8) Brownells has Wolff and other springs for just about any model gun you may have.  In order to change the SRH trigger spring, you will have to remove the trigger group assembly.  The Wolff kit also comes with a lighter latch spring.

Refer to the schematic that came with your gun, or download one from Brownells.  IMHO, changing the mainspring on the SRH does nothing to improve the trigger, you must change the trigger spring, which is a little more complicated.  The white towel is a good idea, as you will see.
No such thing as too dead.