Author Topic: Recoil control in Model 70 375 H&H  (Read 810 times)

Offline Paulinus

• Trade Count: (0)
Recoil control in Model 70 375 H&H
« on: July 31, 2005, 05:46:04 AM »
I have been exploring the possiblility of adding a 375 H&H to my rifle battery in anticipation of a brown bear hunt next year.  In looking over the offerings from Winchester I see two: Classic Safari Express and Classic Synthetic Stainless.  For Alaska I think the Stainless will wear better, but I notice its weight is 7.25 vs. 8.5 of the Safari.  I know the recoil will be greater with the synthetic stainless, other than placing a muzzle brake - which I do not want to do - anyone with a synthetic who can give me some idea as to recoil/recoil control.  Thanks.

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 03:02:58 PM »
That is a long occurring misprint by Winchester.  I have a Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless in .375 H&H and it weighs 8 lbs. 4 ounces bare.  

I wouldn't hesitate getting the Classic Stainless, but you must replace the recoil pad, it comes with a brick.  I just got the Pachmayr Decellerator pre-fit, some minor fitting required.

We shot both rifles this weekend and although the Classic Stainless has a Leupold 2-7x33mm scope on it and the Safari Express just irons you really couldn't tell the difference in the recoil.  

The Safari Express seems a much nicer rifle I think, sights are better, stock is better.  But I do like my Classic Stainless.
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline Paulinus

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 10:07:55 AM »
EsoxLucius:

Thanks for the information on the correct weight.  The additional pound will make a significant difference in recoil.  One would think Winchester would correct the misprint in its printed catalog and website.