Author Topic: pyrodex  (Read 811 times)

Offline sageman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
pyrodex
« on: March 06, 2005, 10:07:01 AM »
Can u use pyrodex pellets in a cap and ball revolver if so what charge in a 1851 confed navy .44 revolver

Offline savageT

pyrodex
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 10:24:49 AM »
Pyrodex can be substituted volume for volume measure for blackpowder.

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline ribbonstone

• Avid Poster
pyrodex
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 01:26:37 PM »
The peltized little 30gr. loads?...the ones in a pre-compressed "chunk"?

That's what it's made for.  Do need to ram the ball down firmly to be sure to leave no air space, but it's a definate "go".

Can consider that  load a max. for that brass framed 44.

Offline Ramrod

pyrodex
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 01:51:25 PM »
Sounds like an expensive way to shoot a cap and ball. What do you have against measuring loose powder?
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline Flint

pellets
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 05:16:08 AM »
I found that the Pyrodex pellets burn better than the loose powder.  In my 1860 Army, a 30 grain pellet, Wonder Wad, and ram until I hear it the pellet break.  Lights off better than loose powder with less excess sparks and burning tracers out the barrel.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline IntrepidWizard

pyrodex
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 05:22:25 AM »
Most pople dont understand that when using pellets they must be broken up or you have gas leaks around them.
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline flamenblaster

what's this stuff made out of?
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 01:45:36 AM »
Im fairly new to bp firearms and have only used pyrodex as i cant seem to find anyone around here who sells bp..actually one..a gun store that wanted 17.50 !! a pound for goex.. and they said they werent going to carry it anymore after this month. I can get pyro for 13.00 a pound + tax so thats what i use. Anyhow when i shoot this stuff it doesnt smell anything like the bp i remember..the countless firecrackers i used to drive the neighbors crazy with in my younger (but not funner) days :grin: (Have as much fun now in my more responsible years :grin: ) Ive also noticed that it fouls the gun badly..specially the cylinders..big piles of crud around the primer holes after 3 or so cylinders..are there ANY advantages to this stuff..is it REALLY safer than bp..dose it posess any power advantage over bp...whats in this stuff??
Good friends will come, and good friends will go...but jerks will just accumulate.

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
pyrodex
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 11:36:29 AM »
Pyrodex is classified as a propellant rather than a explosive like real BP. As far as I am concerned, that is where the "advantage" to it ends. In my experience, compared to BP, it is more corrosive, fouling is worse and harder and it is inconsistent from load to load. The advantages all go to the seller as it does not have the regulatory and handling requirements of BP. You can purchase BP online in 5 lb lots for a whole lot less than Pyrodex.
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
pyrodex
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 08:26:58 PM »
I payed 8$ a pound for Graf's black powder last time I ordered.  They do charge a 20$ hazmat fee, but if you order 10lb. or so it still figures out pretty reasonable.

I don't have the link but just type Graf's shooting supply in your search engin and go to the powder's page.

They also carry Swiss powder which works great for small limited capacity guns because it's hotter than regular powder, though about twice as high.  I use it in 38Long Colt rounds, everything else gets Graf's.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com