Author Topic: 1851 Navy HEEEEEELP!!!!  (Read 725 times)

Offline bum steer

• Trade Count: (0)
1851 Navy HEEEEEELP!!!!
« on: March 09, 2005, 12:18:06 AM »
Been shootin my new 51 navies (pietta) for about a month. They get cleaned everytime but I been staying out of the innards. Me and pistol lockwork are just an accident waiting to happen but it was time to get in there.
Everything came apart and went back together fine except the damn trigger. When reinstall trigger and then reassemble the hammer won't lock up at full or half cock. I did it 4 times following directions that I printed out but same thing everytime. On the fifth try it went back together and works fine but I have no idea what I did different.
Figured worked once should work again so I started on the second gun and I'm at the same spot. I figured when I set down my gunsmith screw drivers and went for the balpeen hammer I better ask what the trick is.
Everything else is a piece of cake and I know there is something stupid I'm doing here installing the trigger. What is it

Offline curator

• Trade Count: (1)
1851 Navy HEEEEEELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 01:47:04 PM »
When you are installing the trigger and cylinder bolt, put the trigger in first then the bolt. Take care that the trigger spring makes contact on top of the small shelf on the muzzle end of the trigger before you tighten it down. If the trigger is all the way back, the spring will slip down the front side and keep the trigger from engaging the hammer notches. Once you get the hang of it the lock work is really pretty simple. I spray mine with Balistol and let it dry some before reassembling. I don't totally break my Cap & ball revolvers down at every shooting but every 4th or 5th time.