Author Topic: Remington1858 maintenance, parts  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
Remington1858 maintenance, parts
« on: February 13, 2005, 05:13:51 AM »
I am new to cap and ball revolver shooting.  I bought a stainless '58 from Cabelas (Pietta) a couple of years ago, a spare cylinder, a device/loading tool to load the cylinder(s), a couple of boxes of .451 balls, spare nipples, and some wonder wads. I plan on starting with Black Mag 3 for powder.  I don't think I have any manual for this revolver, but am confident that I can load and shoot it safely and properly.  After reading a lot of posts here, I realize that this revolver will require a thorough cleaning after each use, and I will have to be able to disassemble it and will likely have to replace a spring or other parts someday.  I teeter about just selling the caboodle and starting with a Ruger, which I presume will have a good manual for cleaning and maintenance, and I will likely not have to do much parts replacement on.  Is there any good reference book which will help a newbie clean and maintain/repair his '58?  Also, if I do need to replace a part such as a spring, where would I obtain these parts?  I looked at Pietta's website and I didn't see where you could get that type of support.  Your advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks!
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline filmokentucky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 07:00:04 AM »
Before you sell that Remington, take another look at it. There are few mechanical contrivances simpler to take apart and re-assemble than a Cap and Ball revolver. The only place you might run into difficulty is with the action parts themselves--the trigger, bolt, hand and so forth. And, with a little common sense, you can put them back together without a hitch.  The most important thing, in fact, is having a proper set of screw drivers so you don't bugger up the screws. For an exploded drawing of a Remington, type "vti replica gun parts" into your browser window. They also carry a line of reasonably priced parts for your gun. The Remington is  as easy to strip and clean as a Colt once you know how.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 07:01:43 AM »
This is probably the easiest place to find replacement parts fer the Eyetalian gunz, including the 58 Remmies: www.vtigunparts.com
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 09:42:28 AM »
Filmokentucky and Cuts Crooked,
Thanks for the information and advice.  I checked out the website and that is just what I was looking for.  I do have gunsmithing screwdrivers and basic gunsmithing tools, and average  :roll: skills, so I'll stick with that Remington.  I do appreciate your input! :D
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 11:01:20 AM »
Cement Man, The truth is, if you can tie your own shoes you can take these guns apart and put them together again. They really are that simple.
Having those screw drivers is going to make all the difference. Just pay attention when you take the trigger and bolt out. This is the only tricky area--and even then it can really only go back together one way.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline Naphtali

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 06:27:21 AM »
Cement Man:

Cabela's is very good about supporting products they sell. They'll have available a USER MANUAL for the Pietta 1858.

NOTE: Be sure to get the standard manual. Pietta also makes a limited production 1858 whose parts do not interchange with standard.

Regarding parts replacement, the thing most likely to require replacement first are the nipples. Modern trigger-sear springs, mainsprings, etc. will probably outlast you. Spring problems associated with original percussion revolvers are mostly at matter of poor temperature control during heat treat/tempering. This is seldom a problem with heat treating done using pyrometers to monitor temperature.

Last thing, in the higher quality version for sure, in the standard version probably -- Pietta's parts interchange without fitting.

Hope this helps.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 11:23:24 AM »
Thank you folks a bunch for the information.  I have a lot of newfound enthusiasm for getting that Remington to the range, and I think the cleaning and maintenance will be a piece of cake.  Good shootin'!

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 12:22:13 PM »
this picture might be useful if the link works and when the host is up
http://www.gunpix.com/gallery/Muzzleloaders_and_Blackpowder/1858brkdownsml.jpg

The remington is simpler than the colt types having one screw for both the trigger and bolt.  The main sticking points is that you have to push the hammer down, unscrew and remove the hand before the hammer will come out.  The mainspring can also require some special treatement to replace.  I use an object between the spring and front of the frame to allow me to bend the bottom of the spring around to fit it in the slot in the bottom of the butt.
Guns are like the vote. They work best when everybody has one
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 02:08:43 PM »
I bought a Pietta Colt Army from Bass Pro. It was sold as a "Traditions", but Traditions just buys Piettas and puts them in a Traditions box, it doesn't say Traditions on the gun, only has the Pietta markings on the gun.
My main hammer spring broke, and the hand broke. But I had cocked the thing a million times, watching cowboy movies on tv.
I just called the Traditions 800 number and they sent me new springs free, no questions asked.
I don't know if Cabelas sells the Traditions brand or not.
I was as intimidated as you are about fixing the gun. But, I figured, It is not a $800 Sig, it is a cheap Italian repro, What have I got to lose?
I fixed both springs in about ten minutes, it was easy. Got to remember, when a trooper's gun broke in the Civil War, he needed to fix it around the campfire and get back to shooting Yankees asap.
It made me feel like I really owned the gun to be able to fix it.
By the way the replacement springs have not broken, I guess they are better quality.  In fact, the main hammer spring was too strong. I ground it down a little with the belt sander to make the right trigger pull.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline Flint

cleaning
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 05:24:54 AM »
As your Remington is Stainless steel, cleaning is real easy.  Remove the grips, triggerguard and cylinder, and run the frame under the hot water tap in your sink, making sure water runs through the bore and through the lockwork..  Same with the cylinder.  Then run patches through the bore until they come out clean, same with cylinder, dry, re-oil and reattach the grips, tg and cylinder and you're done.

The blued model takes a little more care as it will rust if you don't get rid of all the water.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Ramrod

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 11:35:08 AM »
I clean my blued guns in the sink, but I only remove the cylinder and the grips. I drop the whole mess in hot soapy water, (minus grips) and brush and swab the barrel and chambers. I use a toothbrush around the nipples, and I flush the lockwork. I have not seen the need to take the gun down any further. And I dry everything in a warm oven, before I lube it up, and re-assemble. Works for me.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith