Author Topic: Zeiss Conquest or Nikon Monarch?  (Read 849 times)

Offline Buckfever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Zeiss Conquest or Nikon Monarch?
« on: March 23, 2005, 03:54:18 AM »
For a 308, tree stand hunting, require great twilight capabilities.  Need great reliability.  A 1/2 hour ATV ride with gun in Kolpin, pretty harsh bouncing around.   I like the idea of Zeiss eye relief.  Is the the Zeiss worth the extra money over the Nikon?  Thanks

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 05:12:48 AM »
I am not going to say if it is worth the extra money, because the is all depending on the individual.  But I think that the Zeiss is slightly better than the Nikon, but not by much.  The constant eye relief is nice on the Zeiss, but I don't really like the feature of the whole eyepiece turning as you change the power.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Buckfever

• A Real Regular
Zeiss eyepiece turning
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 05:22:12 AM »
Jon please explain what you mean by turning and what that does that may be objectionable.  Thanks  Buckfever

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 05:57:16 AM »
The eyepiece an power ring are all one piece.  As you turn the power up or down, the whole eyepiece, ocular lens, turns with it.  Take a look at the scopes in the link to see if you understand what I mean.

http://www.zeiss.com/C1256BCF0020BE5F/Contents-Frame/E34E4125AA548D6685256BCF0061320D
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

Offline Buckfever

• A Real Regular
Zeiss, power adjustment
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 02:07:28 PM »
So Jon does this mean is I turn it up from 3 power to 9 that the whole objective turns therefore it could turn it out of focus?  If not what would be the downside of this set up?  Thanks Buckfever

Offline muzzleblast525

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Scope
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 02:16:20 PM »
I have the Conquest, and wish now I wouldn't have bought it.  I like my Leupold a bit better, VX-II.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 03:52:16 PM »
don't get confused, it is the eyepiece not the objective.  As for losing focus, no because it has a fast focus eyepiece that keeps it in focus.  The only real disadvantage would be putting a Butler Creek Flip Up on it.  This would also turn as you turn the power making the button for the flip up maybe in a difficult spot.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 04:07:42 AM »
I cannot speak for the Zeis as I have zero experience with their scopes but I can tell you about the Nikon.  I have a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 and absolutely love it.  It gathers all the light I'll ever need to make a legal(and ethical) shot and it is very clear.  I couldn't believe the qualities of this scope when I got it as a Christmas present a few years ago from my Dad and Stepmom.  It may not have the constant 4" of eye relief like the Conquest, but I've found no noticeable difference (to me at least) in eye relief when I crank up the magnification on the Monarch.  I'm so happy with it that I plan to get another one for my 243 someday soon.  I honestly believe it is one darn fine scope.

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 04:49:48 AM »
A VXII over a Zeiss conquest?.........give me a break.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 07:29:45 AM »
Buckfever and all,

I need to apologize.  I have been giving some miss information that I would have bet my life on it, but must have been thinking of a different scope.  With the Zeiss the eyepiece does not turn as you turn the power.  For some reason I was thinking that the Zeiss was the one that did this, but it is not. I even asked my wife and she remembers one that did this, but could not remember which brand or model. My mistake on this one.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

Offline Zachary

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 04:45:39 PM »
I own both the Zeiss and the Monarch. (as well as the Elite 4200, and  Leupold Vari-X III).  I mention these 4 brands because they seem to be in the same league.

I think that the Elite 4200, the Zeiss Conquest, and the Nikon Monarch are VERY VERY close when it comes to optical clarity, resolution, brightness, etc.  Suprisingly, my Vari-X IIIs are last in the optical department.  Leupold's have an excellent reputation for reliability and I have never had a problem with them.  Then again, I have never had a problem with ANY of the 4200s, Conquests, or Monarch either.

If you were to make me close my eyes, then put either the 4200, Monarch or Conquest right in front of me eye, I honestly would have a very hard time telling you which one is better.

Zachary