Author Topic: 7mm-300weatherby  (Read 1013 times)

Offline joshua 35 whelen

• Trade Count: (0)
7mm-300weatherby
« on: January 09, 2005, 05:04:05 PM »
My friend owned a pawn shop, went in to retirement and had loaned some money out to a friends kid he hunted out west with.  To make a long story short, the kid is on drugs and doesn't want the gun back.  Pending his father (who built the gun) doesn't want to pay the 150 dollars to get the gun back I can buy it for that price.  It is a remington action and barrel with 280 x'ed out and 7mm-300weatherby stamped on it.  It is teflon coated with a bedded action and adjustable trigger.  My uncle has a book on wildcats that tells you what kind of brass you can use but doesn't give load data.  Anything you have on it would be helpful.  The author of the book said it was his favorite 1,000 yd target caliber.  Rumor has it this kid dropped a mulie at about 500yds with this rifle.

Thanks,
Joshua

Offline GBO MGMT

• Administrator
  • Avid Poster
7mm-300weatherby
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 05:15:46 PM »
Basically same as the 7 MM STW. You should be able to use that data as a starting point. Work up from starting loads cautiously. BUT first have a chamber cast made to be sure it really is what it's marked.

Offline drags

• Avid Poster
7mm-300weatherby
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 01:13:29 PM »
I have a 7/300wby I neck down 300wby brass to 7mm and fireform in my 7/300wby chamber, gets about 3300fps with the 168gr ser. match king it is a very good long range cartridge. You can get more info. on the 7/300wby by posting on www.wildcatshooting.com there a several shooters over there with experience with this caliber.
Drags

Offline joshua 35 whelen

dies
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 01:02:24 PM »
Anyone know where I can get dies?  I can go to the custom shop at rcbs, but if you know somebody who has some for sale let me know.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
7mm-300weatherby
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 02:17:52 AM »
I'd definately make a chamber cast first to see if it's really what you think it is. As for dies, if you can make some fired cases you can send them to CH4D or Hornady and they'll make dies to fit your chamber for a reasonable price. Personally, for oddball wildcats I like to use Wilson hand dies. They can be cut with the same reamer you cut the barrel with (assuming you have it - hard to do in this case.) and they're way cheaper than screw-in dies for odd things.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline oso45-70

Wildcat Cartridge
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 02:14:43 PM »
Nobade

Howdy neighbor, Love the little dittie on the bottom of your page. Thats my motto now that i have retired, Raised H$%l in your city as a young boy. Knew all the cops by name and they sure knew mine. Have a great day and don't do  too much..........Joe.............
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain