Author Topic: Rooster Lube  (Read 801 times)

Offline Doc Killpatient

• Trade Count: (0)
Rooster Lube
« on: February 21, 2005, 04:26:35 AM »
I need a source for Rooster Lube.  The only place I know of is Graf's and they are out.  I have been using liquid alox and wanted to experiment with something different.  You guys ever tried it? Opinions....
You gonna do something or just stand there and bleed!

Offline Leftoverdj

Rooster Lube
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 06:15:54 AM »
I've tried it. Works fine for moderate pistol loads, c. 1000 fps. Even works in carbines up around 1200 fps. 'Taint no better than Johnson's Paste Wax except that you don't need to heat your bullets to apply it. Both give a waxy surface like on lead .22s. Neither is tacky like Liquid Alox.

You can order direct from Rooster. Their phone is 816-474-1622.

I'll send you an 8 oz bottle for $10. Kinda ashamed of that, but driving to UPS and shipping will eat that.

My advice is to save your money and try the Johnson's Paste Wax.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Rooster
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 06:50:53 AM »
Doc, if you're talking about Rooster Jacket, I've used it for quite some time on my paper patched bullets.............works like a champ for that application.
Buffalo Arms carries it.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Doc Killpatient

Rooster Lube
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 08:34:55 AM »
I cast from a lee 6 cav. mold with a tumble lube bullet design.  My load is around 800 fps. for a 45 auto.  I am just looking for something less sticky than liquid alox.  I think I might even change bullets and buy a magma/star sizer.  I like the idea of a push through sizer.  I am looking for lots of "good enough" bullets for IDPA.  Since I cast for me and about 2 other people the standard lyman type sizers are way too slow.  I like the production speed of the tumble lube just want cleaner bullets.
You gonna do something or just stand there and bleed!

Offline Leftoverdj

Rooster Lube
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 10:21:14 AM »
Johnson's Paste Wax will do what you need. Heat your bullets anyway handy to warm enough to pick up, but too hot to hold long and add a generous tablespoon of wax per 500. Tumble gently and spread out. Two pound metal coffee can works fine.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline DropLikeFlies

Rooster Lube
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 11:07:43 AM »
I've used Rooster Red for a while, but lately I've taken to making my own "alloy".  I melt two sticks of RR and a stick of Lyman orange magic and cast them in a mold I made from a piece of threaded pipe that fits into a wood base with a tube up through the center.  The hollow sticks then fit into my Lyman lubrisizer.  I feel this is a good mix and I used it for everything from 7mm to .458, both pistol and rifle with excellent results.  They are only slightly tacky, more of a waxy feel.

The biggest and best intervention to minimizing stickiness is to use powdered mica from Midway.  I don't know the price, but I ordered a 4oz tub about 5 years ago.  It came in a tub about 3.5 inches high and 3.5 inches in diameter and I've only used maybe one tenth of it.  The stuff works fantastic for lubricating the disks on the Lee pro auto disk powder measure too.

I take a quart freezer bag with lubed bullets  (about 250 of 115gr size, less if larger)  I add about 3 teaspoons of mica and agitate the bag.  Works like a charm.  Store them in rubbermaid containers with lids so no grit finds its way down your barrel.
Gun Control is People Control ---------------------------:blaster: Democrats

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Rooster Lube
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 11:24:41 AM »
do the star thing youll never regret the investment.
blue lives matter

Offline Fiveshooter

Doc you can buy it from Rooster
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 05:13:16 PM »
Doc, I buy 100 sticks at a time from Rooster. That sounds like a lot but the price break is very good. They will only sell direct in quanity. I use it almost exclusively as it is a great product and also flows very well in my heated Star sizers.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level then beat you with experience." Not sure who first said this,but it makes sense.
Best Regards,
                   Billy