Author Topic: Patterning report: .410 Topper 88  (Read 892 times)

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
Patterning report: .410 Topper 88
« on: March 16, 2005, 01:33:20 AM »
Well I did get to spend my lunch break on Monday at  the range on the way to a job......and I got to shoot  a  whole 3 rounds of .410  at patterning targets....at  30 yds.

1- 2 1/2" and 2- 3"......all #6 shot, factory Remington loads...

I liked the 3", that's why  I shot a 2nd one instead of a 2nd 2 1/2".......

2 1/2"     98/110 = 89%
3"           134/150 = 89%
              128/150 =  85%

All in the 30" circle, though the highest concentration of hits was much tighter than that,  most were in the top 1/2 of the circle,  about 15" around.

The 2 1/2" shell grouped and hit in the exact same POI, but the 3" just had more shot to hit in the same place, with fewer gaps.

The 3" shells do run a little slower, since the powder load is the same as the 2 1/2, with more shot. I'm not sure it makes much difference on small game at the proper range...

I do need to try this little gun in the field shooting clays, but my tendency right now is for the 3" shells......

MSP Ret, I did not shoot this gun before removing the burr from the threaded hole for the bead, but there definately WAS one there.....and it certainly did shoot nicely choked, just above the center of the target....after cleaning that up.....

I also patterned my 12ga 32" full NEF  and shot my "new" 20ga mod NEF this day as well.......all shot just as hoped for, but the 20ga was much sweeter to shoot than I had expected! I may just forego my 16ga quest :lol:  :grin:

....Especially since someone, out of the blue, just GAVE me a high end MEC 20 ga loader!!! :shock:
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 02:48:48 AM »
That GREAT to hear offhand35, especially that you may abandon your 16 gauge quest :-D , so if you hear of one let me know OK?, I am still looking.
Thats interesting about your model 88 .410 barrel, when I checked my .410 barrel, also a model 88 26" full choke, the bottom of the brass bead was protruding well into the barrel, when I removed it there was definite burr in the steel. I shortened the brass bead with a flat file, removed the steel burr in from the mounting hole and reinstalled it, fine now with no obstruction, I did a little burnishing of the barrel but it looked good to begin with, except you could feel a definite roughness in the area of the forcing cone. I worked on it a while and it may be a bit smoother now.  The 4/0 steel wool looks like it will take quite a while to remove that amount of roughness. It's better than it was anyway. Now to shoot it....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 03:28:38 AM »
My .410 Topper shoots a nice even pattern with 2-1/2" shells but throws a pattern with a big hole in the center with 3" shells.  I need to find time to burnish the barrel.  Maybe that will improve the 3" shells patterns.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Bob W.

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 01:54:20 PM »
I have been playing with my .410 also this rabbit season.  After doing a tin can" penetration test" with #8's out of 2 1/2 inch, I got a great pattern and what appears to be adequate penetration out to 30 - 35 yrds and got the same with #7 1/2's out on 3 inchers at the same range.  I also shot 2 rabbits with the #8's out to 30 yards and they folded on the spot.  I've always thought # 8's as not enough for rabbits.  The smaller shot seems to pattern well out of the .410.  What loads are you guys useing?  The single .410 has been great for me so far because of its handling qualities

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 03:42:02 PM »
Bob W. , lately I have been shooting Winchester super speed 2 1/2" #6 loads. I found them on sale at Wal Mart....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 02:46:04 AM »
Bob W.,

I have an assortment of .410 shells that I have picked up on sale at various places, 2-1/2" #6 Remington Game loads, 3"  #7-1/2 Remington Express, 3" #6 Winchester Game Loads, 2-1/2" #8 Winchester AAs and some 3"  #7-1/2 Winchester Super-X  

Like I said before the 2-1/2" #6 shells pattern better in my Topper than 3" #6.  I think that If I go down a shot size or two in the 3" shells, #7.5 or #8, I may get a better pattern with my Topper.  I have not taken the time to test my theory yet.  My daughter's little Stainless Rossi loves the Winchester 3" #6s, but for some reason it refuses to eject the Remington 2-1/2" shells.  :?

Bunnies are not very tough critters. I've found #7-1/2 will take them cleanly. I always thought that #8s were a little lite but you say that the two you shot with them folded on the spot @ 30 yards, I'll have to give them a try.  Squirrels on the other hand can be tough little buggers, I don't like to go with anything smaller than #6s on them.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 02:21:51 AM »
I had always thought that 6's were the way to go then I read a book by the late Jack OConnor ( My hero) who said that you probably won't gain much by using anything larger than 7 1/2's in the .410 and they should be good on game out to 35 yards.  That said I still like 6's and am interested in the 2 1/2 6's but would think the pattern density would be a little thin for rabbit and squirrel at 30 -35 yards. Have you patteened yours at that range yet?

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 02:29:27 AM »
oops! I see you did pattern the 6's at 30 yards, maybe I will have to do some more experimenting.  Thanks.