Author Topic: What lube on the lockwork  (Read 547 times)

Offline bum steer

• Trade Count: (0)
What lube on the lockwork
« on: March 09, 2005, 10:35:43 AM »
Just finished completely tearing down my 2 1860's and 2 1851's for the first time. After some glitches it went OK. All em had about 200 rounds through em and the "innards" were pretty gummy but fouling was nice and soft. When I re-assembled I just coated with a light coat of break free. Is this OK or should I be using a "heavier" lube like wonder lube to keep stuff soft?

Offline ribbonstone

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 11:48:02 AM »
Have used both and if there is any differnce at the end of a year's shooting,, I can't tell it...both will be well fouled and "gunky" and both will let you clean back to normal without any damage to the parts.

OF the two, still prefer the thicker oils, thinner greases...live in a hot area, so that may be part of my preference.

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 08:20:12 PM »
Don't know about Break free, but I steer clear of petrolium products, to me there harder to clean out of a fouled gun than natural lubes.

My personal prefferance is when i break the lock work down to coat everything with wonder lube 1000.  It cleans up easy with water and a little ballistol lube.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline J.W.Neely

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Dragoons-sptia
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 12:59:49 AM »
I use a light coat of " patch lube" on the inards, it keeps the fouling soft , I shoot my 1860 Ubertis at Cowboy shoots every month and they never have any problems.
The patch lube I use is some old " Ox Yoke" brand a old timer gave me, it is a thin grease all natural.
Here is a link to the stuff.
http://www.oxyoke.com/products/wonderlube1000.html

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 11:02:23 AM »
I use CVA Grease Patch, which is all-natural and has the consistency of a soft grease. Great stuff! Doesn't get NEAR the credit it deserves.
I put it liberally into the lockwork, coat the sides of the hammer, the hammer channel in the frame and on the cylinder pin. Do this for my Colt and Remingtons all the time.
Keeps them firing much longer. You may also use Crisco but it's thicker and will make parts sluggish or impossible to move in cold or very cold weather.
CVA Grease Patch seems to work in all temperatures. It comes in a black plastic squeeze tube with a good spout for placing just a bit or a lot. Look for it hanging on a cardboard card.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."