Author Topic: Need some assistance with the .357 Max  (Read 425 times)

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
Need some assistance with the .357 Max
« on: March 27, 2005, 11:51:30 PM »
Hello All.  I located a .357 Max Ultra at a gun/pawn shop.  It has the brown laminated wood with the stock being a straight grip style.  Also has iron sights and is drilled and tapped.  The employee said the gun was new and it looks as though it could be.  This particular shop does sell new firearms.  Printed on the barrel is "SB 1 Ultra 357 Rem Max".  On the frame is the typical H&R printing.  My questions are:

1.  Did NEF produce a .357 Max or are the Max's re-chambered .357 Mags?

2.  If they are all re-chambered, what is the consensus of risk in buying
    one?

3.  The asking price was $240 but he dropped it down to $225.  Is that an
    acceptable price?

Any info anyone could provide would certainly be appreciated.  Thanks much in advance.

EVOC ONE

Offline mag41vance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 12:11:25 AM »
Buy it!
no x now!

Offline 22KHornet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 03:37:52 AM »
Yeah no kidding buy it.  They did make a 357 max for a while but I have never seen one.
I must be crazy.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 03:44:51 AM »
Yes, they made them for a while and BUY IT!!! I saw a used one for sale once for $150.00 (!!!!) and passed on it, I later thought better of it and called the shop to tell them I would buy it and to put it aside for me,
you know the drill, it was GONE!!! :x
I sure wish I had a buck for every time I have made such a foolish mistake, they would sure outnumber the times I bought something I should not have. Why I'll bet at a buck per missed chance I would probably have enough cash now to buy a couple of new Handi's!!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 05:13:20 AM »
Thanks guys for the prompt replies.  The only thing I know about the .357 Handis is what I've read on this site.  It seems much of what read about the Max is that its a re-chambered .357 Mag.  But now I know different! I did leave a deposit on it, so I will call the shop and tell them I'll get it this evening.  

MSP:  I with you about passing on deals.  I recently passed on a nice Shakari for $180 because I thought the stock had been cut.  I later saw a picture of it in an old Gun Digest with the short stock and a barrel band, like the one I saw.  For some reason I thought they had full length stocks.  Been kicking myself since.  This one even had "Shakari" printed on the reciever.  Too bad you didn't bag anything on your hunt.  Sometimes its just nice to be out there, though.  

You guys continually amaze and humble me with your willingness to help and educate on this site.  What a great place to be.

Thank You again.

EVOC ONE

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 05:56:32 AM »
As for rechambered 357mags, mine was originally a 357mag that was rechambered by Bigborefan to 357maxi, it shoots less than 1½" at 100yds with the Dan Wesson 357max ammo from Bullseye...

http://www.bullseyeguns.com/danammo.asp
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain