Author Topic: Hunting and Mountain Bikes  (Read 1477 times)

Offline insanelupus

• Trade Count: (0)
Hunting and Mountain Bikes
« on: February 21, 2005, 12:04:27 PM »
Okay y'all, trying to expand my options.  I do A LOT of elk, deer and bear hunting in NW Montana (gonna have an early spring, the bear season should be great!!).  I am going to do some backpack camping and hunting this spring and fall, but on the days that I'm not able to stay out for a few nights, I still want to get back off the main road.  We have a lot of closed forrest service roads, that get you back to good hunting, the problem is, several miles back, time limitations and getting back to the truck to get my Game Cart (which works great within a mile or two of the road).  I'm wanting to get back 4-5 miles if possible.

I read this article the other night http://www.montanascabbards.com/carry-elk.php on how to pack out elk on a bicycle, which got me to thinking that might work for me.  I've got a great bike (Gary Fisher Tassahara Hard Tail), add a rack and collapsible panniers, a gun rack like for ATV's on the handle bars and have a pack frame with me that I leave with the bike to use to pack the meat to the bike and bingo, I'm there.  Ride in to the hunting area, hunt, if I get something, make several trips and pedal it out.

I'm lifting 3 days a week, average between 30-40 miles a week (over three days), riding, to get in shape.  My workouts started to get me in shape for backpack hunting and camping, but if I could use the bike too I think that would be great!!  What I'm wondering is, has anyone else ever tried this and can you give me any tips and pointers?  I'll post this in Deer Hunting, Western Big Game and Bear Hunting to get a broader range of responses.  Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
"My feeling is this, give him pleanty of time, pleanty of birds, and a little direction, and he'll hunt his heart out for me.  That's all I ask." 

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 06:39:55 PM »
Never tried it for anything like you're proposing. Don't see why it wouldn't work tho. I'm not familiar with your terrain but if the hills get steep enough and the ground rough enough biking can be anything but fun or safe. Now on the down hills coasting sure beats walking. The reverse for going up is not always true but is usually. I'd say give it a try and see. For darn sure I can (well OK could) bike a lot further than I could walk.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
riding
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 02:11:36 AM »
Dear Insanelupus (crazywolf??):
 I think you should be speaking to us about the possibilities with mountain bikes, especially with your experience and workout regimen. (started to get you in shape, you say!!?!) Never really considered it, but your ideas are downright infectious! Guys like you are dangerous for me!
 Logging trails, let's see, where's my maps. Sure would get me to different places for turkey, great for a few fishin spots I know. I think I'm in trouble!
 Ya'll got any thoughts on bike selection?
                                                                     Woodbutcher

Offline insanelupus

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 11:36:48 AM »
Woodbutcher,

Believe me, just because I'm getting the workouts in, doesn't necessarily mean I'm in shape!!!!  I was just hoping to catch a few tips and hints.

As far as what kind of bicycle, a mountain type bicycle is definately the best bet, I bought the Gary Fisher because it came with a lifetime frame warranty (The Giant Iguana, the nearest competitor in 2002 was only 5 years).  The reason I say this is because when you go to putting on yourself, (I go 225), the pack, (40 lbs more or less) and then meat on the rear,  you're stressing that frame, big time.  But then again, the bike was about $500.  BUT it is alot lighter than the Wal-Mart bikes.  But look at the cheaper bikes, at $80 use it a year, if you enjoy it, buy a better bike.
"My feeling is this, give him pleanty of time, pleanty of birds, and a little direction, and he'll hunt his heart out for me.  That's all I ask." 

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
bikes
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 01:27:35 PM »
Fella, if you're doin them kinda workouts, you're in shape!!
 Thank you for your thoughts. $500 gives me spasms, $80 ain't so bad. Besides, ain't no lock would keep my mind at ease with a high dollar item somewhere I couldn't see it!!
 Gears sure would help going up muddy, mushy hills! And good brakes going down, cause yeah, I guess the weight does add up. I hadn't thought of that. Going downhill is the wrong time to figure that out! Pa. does have hills.
 As far as tips and hints, your leadin the pack, and doin fine, go for it!
                                                                         Woodbutcher

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 02:53:32 PM »
Boy are you on the right track. Although not mentioned as much as it should be, staying in shape and within 10 lbs of ideal body weight, is my key to continued deer hunting since 1959. Still run a gym at 58! Sure I'm addicted to deer hunting and workouts. Three mile walk ins, filet and walkout.... No problem! the most important piece of deer hunting equipment is your body. Much as I love my triathlon bike, I have no plans to bike in the woods, I love the walk and serenity. Go for the bike !!!

Offline insanelupus

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 02:08:26 PM »
Woodbutcher,

One more thing on that bike, whatever you do, make sure you get front suspension.  Rear suspension is nice, but rides differently (unless you get the kind where you can lock out the rear end to make it a hardtail).  Just remember that, trust me, suspension on the front is very handy.

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 05:20:12 AM »
I have thought about the idea of using a bike.  It is much more quiet than the ATV.  I would not want to pull a large buck out using a bike.

What would you do if your traveling down a hill and you see a trophy buck?  I guess if your a good rider you could shot while riding.  Is that legal?

Doug

Offline insanelupus

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 09:28:21 AM »
Well I wouldn't go bombing down a hill very fast to start with.  If I had time to stop pull out the pistol (the rifle will be on a rack on the handlebars), and get a good shot I might.  But the best bet would be just to keep riding, get out of sight, give it a few minutes, then go back and stalk him, besides, I'd rather stalk one anyway.

Offline Daveinthebush

Bikes and game
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005, 10:42:56 AM »
Last year I drew a moose tag and the area I decided to hunt had bike trails and a non-motorized restriction.

I sent an email to everyone at work and ended up with a decent mountain bike that someone was getting rid of for free.  I made a bracket for the front above the wheel that my pack frame slipped into and then put two straps on the handlebars to secure the pack.  My bow I carried over my back with a bow sling.

My pack frame also seemed to fit over the seat and with the same straps I could lash it to the handlebars to walk my meat out if need be. Yea I might be looking at at lease 8 trips for a moose but if  the bike will carry me it should carry at least 250-300 pounds per trip.  Much better than maybe 70 in a pack.  

I also practiced first with everything around home.  Foam pipe insulation around parts of the frame will reduce noise.  

One other hint: get off the bike well before your in likely hunting terrority.  I  had just gotten off the bike and busted a moose out of the brush.........crash, crash, crash, gone.

Being in shape?  I am 53, bad back and still could do it.
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline insanelupus

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2005, 12:09:57 PM »
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3730/is_199806/ai_n8795845

This is another article I found, for those interested.   I haven't had many replies on the other threads so figured I'd just post it here.  Thank you for the input on the moose hunt.  Sounds like you didn't get one on that hunt.  Too bad, our moose tags are available by draw and if drawn, you have to wait 7 years for the next one.  

Keep the hints coming y'all.  I appreciate it.

Offline Daveinthebush

Almost
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2005, 02:12:25 PM »
Almost though.  I drew a cow tag and if you have that tag you can not shoot a bull.  So who walks down the trail and stands broadside at 15 yards......Mister Bullwinkle. :roll:
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline nealglen37

• Avid Poster
I like the way you guys think
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 03:50:13 PM »
I like the way you guys think.............but I think I will get a tricycle instead of a bike........it will carry more weight...............but most importantly I can ride it at dusk and dawn when holes are not as evident...............I realize I will look completely silly .........riding around in a tricicicle with a deer in the back (hopefully)............lets hear your thoughts.

Offline Robert

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2005, 05:44:44 PM »
Ha Ha..just got an old Italian scooter....gonna see if I can apply some of this info to my Vespa Piaggio.
....make it count

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2005, 01:52:29 AM »
I could certainly agree with you selection of a three wheel bike aka trike rather than a two wheel bike IF you're sticking to roads and trails wide enough for those two rear wheels. They have a lot of advantages and feel disadvantages other than being much wider and generally not being available in as high quality off road ready or with the gears needed. Sure easier to tool around slowly on or to stop quickly and get off a shot from.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline insanelupus

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2005, 01:42:49 PM »
I'm not sure about the trike idea, aside from the added weight of the trike, you have to consider the ability of it to maneuver.  Of course a bike loaded would be cumbersome. with 40 or so pounds on a rear rack and 40 or so on a back pack, I think it would be managable, though admittedly not ideal.  But hey, if the trike works go for it, the point isn't how you look, it's how you hunt.  :D

I just put the rack on the bars for my rifle.  Works good.  I think I could even ride and just straddle the bike for a shot if I needed.  Of course, I'll be packing a sidearm too, so might use the rifle as a rest for my forearms.  

Either way, I put in two 25 mile rides this week.  The 5-8 miles back in shouldn't be bad at all for hunting.  :D

Offline DaveP

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2005, 01:41:23 AM »
Okay.There's more than one of us thinking along these lines.A coworker's father out in Libby,Montana was using one about 10 years ago.It took that long for the idea to sink into my thick skull,and for me to actually do anything.Check your local thrift shop.There usually loaded with bikes,for under $25,and sometimes some good ones are there.I wound up at the landfill,when the guy next to me was unloading ALL KINDS of nice stuff-he was moving.Picked up a couple barely used bikes for the kids,and a cheap 18 spd mountain type bike for myself.Plan on a spray can camo job,some homemade racks,and a scabbard.Going to use it this spring to cover more ground turkey hunting.For deer,if it gets me,my stand,and gun/bio in and out,I'll be happy.May make a towable deer cart as well.Tow it in,load the deer on,then the bike on top,then walk it out if I have to.Dave

Offline clodbuster

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
deer and bikes
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2005, 12:39:30 PM »
A couple years ago while hunting at one of Missouri's Conservation areas, a friendly deer hunter loaned me his homemade cart to go get my downed deer a mile away from the parking lot.  Dang he was nice to do that.  Anyway, he had made it totally from salvaged stuff.  Namely two bicycle front forks, used conduit and chicken wire.  It worked better than anything because it had soooo much ground clearance.  He welded a whole fork unit onto each side of the basket he fashioned from the conduit, then lined the thing with chicken wire to keep the deer from falling through.  By not having an axle between the wheels it rolled over logs tall grass rocks with its two feet of ground clearance.  if anyone has plans already drawn up I sure would appreciate a peek at them, otherwise I will hammer out the prototype and post the results here.  This thing could be easily modified to be pulled behind a bike if the ground conditions were decent.

My mountain bike experience started this year when at the same CA as mentioned above I walked in to my spot in the dark and when the sun peeked up and I started actually seeing things,  there was a nice mountain bike laying on its side in the weeds about 25 yards from me.
I jumped to the obvious thought.  Those bas****ds stoled some kids bike and dumped it way out here.  After getting back to the parking area there were a dozen of 'em there on trailers, in pickups etc.  Then I got the epiphany.  These guys get there twice as fast and twice as easy as me.
Its a bike for me next season!
Preserve the Loess Hills!!!