Author Topic: .410 26in barrel  (Read 645 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
.410 26in barrel
« on: March 12, 2005, 11:03:21 PM »
If I take 2in off a 26in .410 barrel, will that open it up to cylinder bore for slugs? :grin:
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
.410 26in barrel
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 11:12:39 PM »
Probably not. I would think it would take more like 4" and then that may not be enough. Your smith should have a choke gauge to be able to tell though.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
410 cutoff
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 11:47:38 PM »
Maybe I should have asked first.  Sounds like the whole barrel is tapered.  Is that what you are saying.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
.410 26in barrel
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 12:01:23 AM »
All H&R/NEF barrels have some taper with the exception of the bull barrels. It may not be necessary to reduce the .410 all the way to cyl. bore though. Modified may work fine for foster style slugs. I know that a 20 ga. Pardner with a foster slug fired down a mod. choked 26" barrel is as accurate and offers basically the same range as my sawed-off 12 ga. barrel (down to .003 choking) did with the same type slug. A .410 skug is not going to give you much range or velocity no matter what you do tho. They are only recommended for varmints but should work well on deer, if you shoot no farther than 50 yards at them. Ought to make about the same size hole as most saboted 50 cal. muzzle loader rounds. Who knows about expansion with one tho.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
.410 26in barrel
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 12:16:12 AM »
I suppose that would pretty much ruin the barrel for much else.  At 22in with cylinder bore it would be pretty lame on rabbits and squirrels too.

Just thinkin' out loud.  Thanks
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
.410 26in barrel
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 12:21:59 AM »
Go for 23" modified and you still got an efficent gun for most .410 hunting.
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
.410 26in barrel
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 12:47:42 AM »
Thanks.  I will keep that in mind.  I'm sure this idea will come to me again in the wee hours when I am awakend  by the OLD HOUND(Really, I'm talkin' about my Beagle).LOL
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
.410 26in barrel
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 01:16:00 AM »
Hey guys, I think you will find that although the outside of the (shotgun) barrels may be a bit tapered the inside bore from just at the front of their short forcing cone to almost the very end of the barrel is parallel. To check this fit a couple of very snug fitting patches on a cleaning jag or over a wool shotgun mop and push it through the barrel, you will not fell any resistance (parallel) until just about (1" - 1.5" or so) from the muzzle, that is where the choke is in an H&R shotgun barrel. As I have been told there were a few barrels that tried the full length constriction long ago but no modern guns use it that I am aware of.
If you try this the barrel really constricts quickly in the last 1" or so and the patches may get struck there so you may have to push them out backwards with a short starter or rod as is used in ML shooting, it all depends how tight you make the patches to begin with.
Also, I suggest you leave the .410 a full choke, foster slugs are made loose enough to fit through most standard chokes and a single shot  cylinder bore .410 would be just about worthless for any other application.....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
.410 26in barrel
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 02:52:55 PM »
i'd have to agree with mspret here.

the slugs are 90 grain hollow bases and pretty much fill up and then swage to barrel dimensions with no real effect on velocity.

i made up a bunch of slugs using 148 grain 38 caliber hollow base wad cutters and they shot fine. they were a bit heavy and it took a little thinking to work up a load, but hey work fine. i also loaded up some 158 grain lee semi wadcutters as slugs. they keyholed after 20 or so yards but so what, they shot fine.

the factory slugs are soft enough, with a brinell hardness of 5 and change, so that they will swage through any choke with second order effects on anything you are shooting at !

just my 2 centavo's !

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 03:05:43 PM »
Thanks, I think I'm gonna take the advice from all of you and leave that idea in the scrap box.  

Thanks All
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
.410 26in barrel
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 03:39:56 AM »
Smart move Cookieman.  I have to believe that the ammo manufacturers have taken into account that the majority of .410s are choked full when they design their slugs.  I know for a fact that my 12 gauge Mossberg 500 shoots slugs more accurately with an 'improved' choke tube in place than it does with an 'open' choke.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC