Author Topic: How is the quality of the Leatherwood (ART)?  (Read 876 times)

Offline Oldoperator

• Trade Count: (0)
How is the quality of the Leatherwood (ART)?
« on: February 10, 2003, 01:26:02 PM »
Years ago when I was a active shooter, the Leatherwood ART and Redfield scopes had a very good reputation. I'm getting back into the sport again after 25 years or so and have heard that Redfield is no longer sought after as one of the better scopes. What I want to know is, should I buy a Leatherwood ART for my 308 Tactical rifle or should I just forget about what was and start off with a Leupold because almost everyone else seems to. I thank you all in advance.
NRA Life Member since 1971.

Offline kd5hrm

How is the quality of the Leatherwood (ART)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2003, 09:48:06 AM »
I have a Leatherwood ART II with a 168 gr cam on it.  I'm fairly sure that you could destroy a sledgehammer by beating on it with this scope.  It is without question the most heavy-duty piece of optical gear I've owned.

That said, and since I don't need another hammer, other companies' optics are better and if I were buying one today, I'd get a Leupold or Burris.

I've also heard that Sheperd makes a quality product thought I've never used one.

Brad
73 de KD5HRM

Offline Zachary

How is the quality of the Leatherwood (ART)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2003, 12:14:58 PM »
Oldoperator,

Yes, a lot has changed in the last 25 years or so. :wink:  Back then, Bushnells were not the greatest of scopes.  Today, however, Bushnell bought out Baush & Lomb and now make the Elite 4200s and ELite 3200s.  The Bushnell Elite 4200s are, in my opinion and experience, the best value out there - period.  Even better than the Leupold Vari-X IIIs (of which I also own 2).

Yes, there are other great brands - Leupold Vari-X III, Nikon Monarch, Burris Black Diamond, but I believe that the Elite 4200s are the best.

Take a look at these scopes and you will be impressed as to what they have done in the past 25 years. :grin:

Zachary