Author Topic: OLd and I mean old shells given to me.  (Read 521 times)

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
OLd and I mean old shells given to me.
« on: March 14, 2005, 11:47:30 AM »
I've got a friend that had to clean out his fathers house after his death. He found a boat load of guns and ammo.  His came over last night with a small sample of what he found in the house.  About 40 .410 paper shells in #4 and 7 1/2 3 in.   like 30  paper .410 slugs 2 1/2 in slugs.  And a box of 25 OLD winchester paper slugs for a 12 ga.  and a box of old 20 ga.  field load in paper.  He thinks they are about 40-50 yrs old.  He wants me to get rid of them...But I don't know if they are still stable enough to shoot.  What do you guys/gals thinks ?
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 12:41:06 PM »
Dave

I don't think I would shoot them.  I suggest putting them in a bucket of water for about a week, then cutting them in two and trashing them.

Then again I may be wrong.
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 12:43:56 PM »
I have a few I bought in the early 70s shot some not long ago. They are ol Alcan 12ga  max load #6 shot don't know why I bought back then, but I did. I also have some Browning 20 ga my sister found after my brother-law died, we have no idea how old they are but neither of us can remember him owning a 20 ga. They are still plastic. I am trying to remember when plastic showed up, probably in the 60s. :D
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 01:09:45 PM »
If you don't have any desire to keep them as collectors items I bet you could sell them to some one who does. I delivered chairs to a big gun auction this last weekensd and their was a butt load of old ammo to be auctioned. I don't have any desire to collect it but I guess somebody out there must.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 02:50:52 PM »
You asked if they were "stable" enough to shoot. Well they may fire and they may not. If they have been kept dry and out of moisture they should be fine. Three things can happen:

1) they can fire great
2) they can fire weakly
3) they can fail to fire at all

they cannot be more explosive or more powerful...

so...you can sell/give them to somebody else(collector/another shooter) or you can shoot them, those that fire great, those that don't, properly discard...
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 03:26:19 PM »
If they are as old as you suspect and are in good condition (little or no corrosion hulls not swollen) they may be worth some $ to a collector.  Post as much info. about them as you can with some pictures if possible under the Cartridge Collecting and Trading forum on this site.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 04:07:49 PM »
gun powder doesn't gain energy as it ages, it decomposes at a very, very slow rate.

i bought papers at gun shows and shot birds with them, some are squibs, some shoot ok. but a box of papers on the mantle or in the gun rack look really nice. a bit of nostalgia !

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 01:04:30 AM »
Even if you don't shoot them or keep them for your collection I'd cut them open and save the shot. I'm incredibly cheap and a big old pack rat as well though.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 12:59:02 PM »
Ok here is a little more info on the .410 shells they are winchester super X brand 3 in 7 1/2 and 4 shot.  They are not cripped the are rolled cripped with what looks like a paper wad holding the shot in the shell.  All thats on the base is .410.   I've never seen a shell like this.  There is very little corrosion on some and other have no corrosion at all. I wiped the brass down with a soft rag and they are nice and bright now.  No swelling noted at all.  Have one that looks bend so its gonna get soaked in a cup of water then cut up.
I just did a search for head stamp ID on shotshells these shell are by Winchester repeating arms company.  Head stamped WRA .410...  Winchester stopped using the WRA stamp in 1906.  Damn and he must have 200 of them.  Ok the .410 slugs are head stamped wy-wy .410  that dates to 1907..  Look like there things might be worth some money.  these thing are almost 100 yrs old.... Damn and I was fixing to shoot them....
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Brett

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 03:47:03 AM »
You may be sitting on a little gold mine.  Go to the following link and do a little more research.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=27850

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 10:05:52 AM »
Brett,,,,
             Thanks for the links.  I have talk to winchester amd they want to buy back the shells for their collection.  Talk about walking into money...Now All I have to do is convince my friend to give me all the rest of the shells.... LOL
Think I'm gonna buy a 45-70 handi wth the money I get from this.

What do they say being at the right place at the right time.  :grin:
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Brett

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 10:44:38 AM »
Dave, that's awsome.   :D