Author Topic: Semi-auto 44 mag  (Read 976 times)

Offline 300winman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Semi-auto 44 mag
« on: March 15, 2005, 07:10:39 PM »
What other semi-auto 44 mags are on the market besides the Desert Eagle? Kinda liked the look of a Desert Eagle, but heard alot of problems with them.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Big Guns get''''r done!!!!

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Semi-auto 44 mag
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 08:24:55 AM »
You might find a used Automag, (no longer in production). Or--you could go with a 10mm for performance somewhere between the .357 mag and the .41 mag. These are available and inexpensive, and much more size efficent than the Eagle or Automag.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
Semi-auto 44 mag
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 12:57:39 PM »
Some where I have read that Whidley (sp) was making the 44 auto mag, and also other cal.s Either that or I need to get better whiskey for these dreams. I recall a picture shown some what similar to the original auto mag.
Jim

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
Semi-auto 44 mag
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 01:05:49 PM »
Some where I have read that Whidley (sp) was making the 44 auto mag, and also other cal.s Either that or I need to get better whiskey for these dreams. I recall a picture shown some what similar to the original auto mag.
Jim

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Semi-auto 44 mag
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 06:48:12 PM »
Desert Eagle, Automag and I believe Wildley and Grizzley made a 44 magnum auto. All of these guns probably fetch a grand or more on the used market. I have seen used Grizzlies in 45 win mag for around 900 bucks.

Be Safe,
Scott

Offline Helnik

Desert Eagle
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 06:55:06 PM »
I have had a DE for years in 44 mag
nevr had any trouble with it,BUT you have to keep them clean,mainly the gas chamber,a tool for that job comes with the gun!
Also you can run some realy hot loads through it,it ejects the empties straight up and back,and the hotter the load the more to the rear the empties go,so when you get max hot loads the brass tends to hit you right between the running lights.Sure plays hell with your concentration,so when you get your load to where the brass just misses your head your all set   :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Helnik

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
44 mag semi auto handguns
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 02:08:56 AM »
Don't forget the MATABE.  It's the first semi automatic revolver since the Webley Fosberry.

Offline Special Ed

• Avid Poster
Semi-auto 44 mag
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 07:28:10 AM »
Yes, Wildey makes a 44 automag, it is NOT the same cartridge as a 44 magnum. The automag is a rimless cartridge so it feeds better in a magazine. No idea if anyone is making ammo for it. If I recall correctly, it can be made by cutting a 308 win. case in half.
 :D  :D

Offline HouseofCash

• Avid Poster
Semi-auto 44 mag
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 10:26:08 AM »
I have had a DE for years in 44 mag
nevr had any trouble with it,BUT you have to keep them clean,mainly the gas chamber,a tool for that job comes with the gun!
Also you can run some realy hot loads through it,it ejects the empties straight up and back,and the hotter the load the more to the rear the empties go,so when you get max hot loads the brass tends to hit you right between the running lights.Sure plays hell with your concentration,so when you get your load to where the brass just misses your head your all set    

Helnik

True. True.
  I have had mine for 2 years this CHRISTmas and I'm yet to have a problem with it, since I have learned the proper way to clean the gas chamber. I love it. Im MHO I would take it over a rev. any day. Holds 8 rounds too. It is a real tank, bigger your hands the better. palm grips hugh. "I lack the big hands", but still no problems to one hand. recoil is not bad. I do not recommend caring it daily, although I carry mine sometimes when I need a change.
  Only real down side is they are pricey so shop around if you get one. Look at all your options. They used to make them in .357 and (.41<--I think-->), but I do not think they make them any more.

Dave.
GSSF Member

Offline Bigdog57

• Avid Poster
Semi-auto 44 mag
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 05:17:20 AM »
The gas-operated Wildey pistol is chambered in .45 WinMag, as is the Automag IV.  Totally different animals than the original Harry Sanford-designed Automag form the 60's/70's (and shown in a Dirty Harry movie).  The original Automag was chambered in it's own special .44AMP load, using cut-down .308 rifle brass, as well as .25AMP and .357JMP calibers, also .308 based.
The original Automags are muey pricey nowadays!

I have shot the Automag IV, and it was alright - actually fit my hand better than the Desert Eagle.  It's somewhat like a huge stretched Colt 1911 in looks.

Offline Guy

Semi-auto 44 mag
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 04:12:39 AM »
Corbon loads .44 Auto Mag cartridges.
Peace through superior firepower.