Author Topic: talk some turkey here !  (Read 336 times)

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
talk some turkey here !
« on: March 24, 2005, 02:53:28 PM »
ok - this will be my 2nd or 3rd year hunting turkey. to date, nothing, no wild turkeys in the oven, no wild gravy in the boat, no wild cranberries on the plate. last year i sat out inthe woods styling with my brand new cabelas micro-what mossy oak ghetto breakup raingear and head-dress. i looked really cool IF you could see me !

i will be using my 12 gauge turkey handi with 1-3/8oz of #6's.

i'm not afraid to ask for advice, so let's hear it from you seasoned turkey hunters, i need instructions, rules, the strategies, etc.

i am a turkey hunting dummy, i need the basics ! let's make this my year to bag a bird !

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
talk some turkey here !
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 07:16:59 AM »
Pattern the birds...find their prefered roosting area...watch where they gennerally fly down and the time... get in at least 1/2 hour or earlier from their normal flydown time...set up well back from their flydown area and call them to ya...you gotta know where they are to pattern them...and you gotta be quite.....getting in and setting up...learn the area they are in...and where and when they are feeding...they will stay in an area as long as they haven't been pushed out and there is food for them to eat...and don't expect them to cross thru heavy brush or cross water to get to you when your calling...try one of the hen decoys...set it  up about 35 yards away from you...but in site for the Toms to see when approaching...don't call too much when one is approaching...you don't want him to zero in on you...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...