Author Topic: Got my 44mag barrel back - some problems - UPDATED  (Read 1236 times)

Offline MtJerry

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Got my 44mag barrel back - some problems - UPDATED
« on: March 24, 2005, 03:01:00 PM »
The big brown truck FINALLY showed up this afternoon with my 45-70 receiver fitted with a new 44mag barrel.   :lol:

Take it out of the box and I'll be danged ... there's a pea-sized chuck of wood missing out of the forarm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It is NOT from shipping.   :evil:  The boxes, both inner and outer were perfect and undamaged.

I will be getting in touch with H&R about that.

I immediately noticed the sights were not what I was expecting.  They have a ramp-style Williams (dovetailed leaf) for a rear sight.

The front sight is different too ... a higher bead-style sight ... apparently a Williams brand as well.

The sights are not what I expected and I am a bit miffed because the One Ragged Hole sights I have on order are clearly NOT going to fit.

Sorry I don't have pictures, I can't find the danged camera ... been a rough day already ....
:D

Offline MtJerry

• A Real Regular
Got my 44mag barrel back - some problems -
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 04:51:02 PM »
Just slugged the bore ... it's .432  :shock:

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 07:50:14 PM »
MtJerry

Just slugged the bore ... it's .432

Three thou oversize that is not funny. You are in a position to reject it.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Got my 44mag barrel back - some problems
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 11:08:18 PM »
Quote from: MtJerry
The sights are not what I expected and I am a bit miffed because the One Ragged Hole sights I have on order are clearly NOT going to fit.

Now I'm worried... I just ordered one of those sights..

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 11:21:06 PM »
Nope, not going to fit mine, or any production rifle for that matter.  I dunno when they started using the william's ramps, but I e-mailed One Ragged Hole, told them of the change and cancelled my order.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline TrapperZach

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 02:13:32 AM »
now yall got me second guissing buying one.why is the barel over sized?

Offline MtJerry

• A Real Regular
Re: Got my 44mag barrel back - some problems
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 03:09:10 AM »
Quote from: Haywire Haywood
Quote from: MtJerry

Now I'm worried... I just ordered one of those sights..

Ian

Just got to looking over at Midway - they have peep replacement leafs for this sight- cost about $6.00.

May have tog et one of those.  The bright side is theya re cheaper than the oneragged hole sight.

Offline MtJerry

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 12:04:37 PM »
Well, I shot the new barrel at lunch today and as expected the gorups sucked.

I shot two seperate loads for comparison.

First load was .240gr. Keith-style SWC over 20.5 gr. of 2400. REALLY bad results. They were all over the target. No "grouping" of any kind.

Next load was .250gr. Keith-style cast over 19.5gr. of 2400. This is the load that shot really well in my Blackhawk. It was much better than the .240gr., but still not acceptable. At 50 yards I was getting 3 x 5 groups. That will certainly do a nice job at 50 yards, but since this is a rifle barrel, I was aiming for being able to use it out to about 150 yards.

Shot a total of 50 rounds ... finished with 12 rounds of the .240gr. to see if barrel fouling would help the groups. They still sucked .... sigh ...

After I got home I discovered what might be a silver lining to this whole ordeal. I slugged the cylinder and bore of the Blackhawk and discovered the cylinder was .431 and the bore was .430. Sooooo, if I order .431 dia. bullets, they should shoot fairly well out of both.

Comments?

Offline MtJerry

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 03:00:34 PM »
Here are some pics - I finally found the camera :-D  

First, the ding on the forarm near the hinge

The rear sight

And the front sight

Offline JPH45

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 03:48:24 PM »
My barrel slugs .432, I got pretty lousy groups with cast at full velocity untill I stopped sizing 'em to .430. My molds drop bullets from .431 to .432 and the gun shoots them great! I've been pan lubing mine, but recently was able to get a .431 sizing die for my Lyman 450 sizer, and bullets run through that are shooting great. Before complaining too loudly, contact customer service, and ask what they allow for barrel tolerance (don't tell 'em what you've got unless nessicary at this point), get some larger bullets and shoot them and see what results you get, you may find it will shoot just fine. this is one of the great advantages of cast, the bullets can be custom matched to the barrel.

The sights are weird, not what I would have expected either, but a maker is free to change their product as they wish, so probably not much can be done there. Doesn't  the One Ragged Hole sight use the scope mount holes for mounting?
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 04:12:18 PM »
Jerry, What is the measurement acros the lands?

Maybe these would work for you--maybe the reason the lesser charge worked better was that you were stripping the bullet due to not enough engagement of the rifling on the bullet.  Were ther keyholing or just not grouping well?  The oregon trail lasercast bullets are guaranteed not to lead the barrel up to 2200fps.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=443797

Here's a heavier bullet:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=494846

Offline MtJerry

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 05:15:43 PM »
Quote from: cheatermk3
Jerry, What is the measurement across the lands?

Hey cheatermk3!

Where you been hiding yourself!

The slugs measured .432 accross the lands and they grooves were .427.

I have located some cast bullets that I can use, they are gas checked and come in various dia's of .429 to ..432 and everthing in-between.

I think I have conviced myself to keep this barrel for a while and give it a shot since my Blackhawk is a bit large in the bore also.

I WILL contact NEF about the stock and ask them to replace it.  I will also ask them what there standard bore dementions are for this barrel.  If it is not .432 (I doubt it!), then I will ask them to guarantee the opportunity to return it if I can't get it worked out.

Anyway, it's these kinds of things that make shooting fun!!!!

SEE YOU IN A FEW MONTHS !!!!!

Offline JPH45

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 05:25:18 PM »
That matches my bore exactly. I'm sure you will be able to get it to shoot well. Good Luck.

Offline MtJerry

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 05:47:05 PM »
Quote from: JPH45
Doesn't  the One Ragged Hole sight use the scope mount holes for mounting?

Sorry I missed this earlier JPH45 - actually no they do not.  It is only a peep type leaf that replaces the leaf on the factory sight.

I did find this sight on Midway and may give it a try - and it's inexpensive to boot !!

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=317601

Offline MtJerry

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2005, 05:08:27 AM »
Just got off the phone with H&R ...

They are sending me a new forarm ... :grin:

I asked them about thier bore dia. for the 44mag barrel and the Customer Service Supervisor told me they are bored to SAAMI specs at .431 and are allowed +/- .002.

So, my .432 dia. is within specs.   :?

I have done a good bit of reading and looking around and have come to the conclusion that I can make this work.

With jacketed bullets, I should be able to get a good load since the jacketed bullets (for example, Hornady 300gr. XTP which is .430 dia.) should jump up to bore dia. when fired, and the fact that I can buy cast bullets from several sources that are .431 and evern .432.

Hoope this little adventure helps someone else.   :D

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2005, 08:42:35 AM »
MtJerry, your story and experience as well as your last comment in the above post:  "Hope this little adventure helps someone else. " Is what makes you a good guy and makes this site so great. We can all learn from one another, and those here, as you have, go out of their way to be helpful and to inform the rest of of of things we learn and experience with these guns...thanks,  and carry on!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline MtJerry

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2005, 10:27:28 AM »
Quote from: MSP Ret
MtJerry, your story and experience as well as your last comment in the above post:  "Hope this little adventure helps someone else. " Is what makes you a good guy and makes this site so great. We can all learn from one another, and those here, as you have, go out of their way to be helpful and to inform the rest of of of things we learn and experience with these guns...thanks,  and carry on!!!....<><.... :grin:

It has been the "little adventures" of others here that have helped me with my own issues.  Glad to repay the kindness and generousity of others ...

.... yourself included !

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2005, 09:55:11 AM »
I really wouldn't say that I disliked the new sights that the braintrust at H&R have changed to.  Hate, is a much better word.  Man those are nasty looking I think wwhen I order my hornet barrel I will just ask them to keep the sights.

:( Man those look bad.
I must be crazy.

Offline MtJerry

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2005, 10:52:22 AM »
Well, a happy ending for this short story on the 44mag handi ...

Bought some 300gr. Hornady XTP's (.430 dia) and loaded them with a max load of 2400 (5.9gr).

Cloverleafs at 50 yards  :grin:  :lol:

Might try and order some cast in .431 dia. and give them a try, but REALLY need to get to work on some other projects ....

Loads for my new .270, loads for my 45-70, and get my son's 17hmr sighted in ...

So many guns, so little time  :D

Offline JPH45

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2005, 11:43:06 AM »
Yep, them 300 XTP's shoot real good.