Author Topic: 30-30 Has New Home  (Read 432 times)

Offline Greysky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.geocities.com/catman_56/Creative_Crafts.html
30-30 Has New Home
« on: March 25, 2005, 04:11:39 AM »
Well, I went to my favorite mom-and-pop shop to order a 30-30 Handi. Happily, I didn't have long to wait very long for it to arrive. They presented me with a used one in excellent condition with an attractive walnut stock.

After forking over $159.00 (including tax) that lonely little Handi has a new home.  :grin:
If at first you don't succeed, by all means try again. But if this doesn't work, give up, because there is no sense in making a darn fool of yourself.

Offline Chainsaw

• Avid Poster
30-30 Has New Home
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 05:21:38 AM »
Happy Handloading :toast:

Offline Greysky

• Avid Poster
30-30 Has New Home
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 06:03:43 AM »
Thanks, Chainsaw.  :D

I purchased the dies, brass, and a selection of bullets about a month before I bought the rifle. So I'm ready to get down to business.

Have you ever used Varget for your 30-30?

Varget appears to have a good reputation when used for .223, .243, and other medium cartridge applications.
If at first you don't succeed, by all means try again. But if this doesn't work, give up, because there is no sense in making a darn fool of yourself.

Offline Chainsaw

• Avid Poster
30-30 Has New Home
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 09:03:12 AM »
Heard lots of good reports about Varget, but have never used it. I have used BLC-2, WC846, Re 12, Re 15, and my favorite for the 30-30, W748

Offline Greysky

• Avid Poster
30-30 Has New Home
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 10:36:09 AM »
Several different sources claim W748 is their favorite 30-30 powder.

I prefer RE-15 for my .243 when using heavier bullets.

I bought a pound of Varget with my 30-30. According to my Sierra #5 manual, it seems to be a versatile powder. I know an AR-15 fanatic (he builds his own) who achieves excellent downrange performance with Varget.

P.S. I really shouldn't have called this fellow a fanatic. After all, I think I'm becoming a Handiholic. Isn't that a dreadful fate?  :)

Offline Chainsaw

• Avid Poster
30-30 Has New Home
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 04:29:18 PM »
Greysky, We have 3 NEF/HR receivers at our residence and 6 barrels. Probably won't get anymore but I just bought a NIB Tracker II that I would like to pass onto my son in the future. It should be shipped shortly. I will get it drilled and tapped and install a low power compact variable Weaver or Leupold scope. The area where we live is shotgun only for whitetails and the 20 ga. rifled slug barrels from NEF work well for us. We have one with a Weaver V3 1-3x20mm and another with a Leupold 1.5-5 VariXIII that I bought used at a good value...........Take Care My Friend.....Chainsaw