Author Topic: Kel-Tec?  (Read 2290 times)

Offline DEPUTY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
Kel-Tec?
« on: November 25, 2002, 09:23:14 AM »
having seen and shot a few of the kel tecs in our classes i hate them ! sorry for being honest!  i would like one over a sharp stick though!  the trigger is rotten long creepy. realiable yes as far as i have seen! a few hundred rnds! and cheap yes! me i would ave the money and get a mini glock or a airweight smith or taurus! sorry just my .02  question? who much is your life or your loved ones life worth :shock:

Offline jhm

keltec
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2002, 11:43:01 AM »
yes they are cheap the trigger is long and hard and since I used to own a gun shop I have several guns of all brands, and I do have a keltec p-11 which I have put several hundred rounds thru it without 0 problrm I carry it during the summer months alot, in a don haum holster iwb. would I recomend it as a first choice no I would not but I like mine and would not feel unarmed if needed.  Its a little sleeper  :D   JIM

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Kel-Tec?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2002, 12:31:10 PM »
I once owned a Kel-Tec P11 in 9MM. It was compact and light to carry and that's the end of the good I have to say about it. Well no I'll have to add it didn't jam and did feed OK.

Trigger is awful. It was not accurate at all and didn't shoot to point of aim very well. The final straw for me was one morning I was trying to finish off a feral cat with it. Started shooting at about 7 yards and ended up having to almost touch the cat's head to hit it. Took that POS and traded it for a Glock 27 same day.

I do own a Kel-Tec P32 and it is night and day different than the P11 was. trigger ain't that bad and it is accurate and shoots to point of aim. Much nicer little gun than the P11 or at least the P11 I had.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Savage

Kel-Tec?
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2002, 04:45:26 PM »
Guys,
What can I say?? I own 4 of the little beauties,  (2) p-11s and (2) P-32s. My wife and I both carry them when we need to conceal. We own a lot of other guns with more snob appeal but, they are quite simply reliable, safe, compact, light, and reasonably accurate. If that's what you're looking for in a CCW gun then there you go!!!!!!!! Oh yes, the're inexpensive too!!!
               savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Small handguns
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2002, 05:01:52 AM »
Chris:  If you pack a 38 snubbie now and feel confident with it and comfortable shooting it I would ask if you really need to change or go to a small auto.  If you are not in the Law Enforcement/Police business and only carry for personnal defense I think you are currently well prepared.  

When I am not lugging my 45s around I pocket an Airweight S&W Bodyguard stuffed with 200 grain semi wadcutters poopin' along at somewhere around 700'/sec.  Certainly isn't any sort of a magnum or Plus P load and is as easy to shoot as wadcutter target loads are from that snubbie of mine.   They have also been known to do the job.  They were originally a heavy Police load for short barrelled revolvers.  Col Charles Askins preferred either that round or the 45 ball.  I think he had good taste.  

With what you currently have and can shoot, I wouldn't change.  This is Mikey.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
Kel-Tec?
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2003, 11:42:26 PM »
Just the same as the other fellows. It has a terrible trigger. I tried to modify it myself by heating and stretching a hair to relieve tension on the main hammer spring. In turn I broke it. Emailed the factory they sent me a new one. The older 9mm and 40 had a 10# spring, they snt me the current 8# spring which was night and day. Still to heavy though. At 25 yards I was doing good to keep the bullet in 12". I traded it in on a glock. The same 10 will go within 3" at 25yards.
 Dependability is excellent, never heard of a jam in these things. Acurassy is still poor in the 9 and 40. I have a 32 as well, not a target pistol, but on par with any subcompact on the market. There are so many 9 and 40s out there in subcompact today it shouldn't be hard to find a different brand at a reasonble price.
Molon labe

Offline Savage

Kel-Tec?
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2003, 02:57:36 AM »
Hey guys,
Well here I go again

I thought this thread had died!! For what it's worth I must again come to the defense of the Kel tecs. A 12" group is quite acceptable @ 25yds with very concealable defensive handgun. I own several 2" snubbies, both Smiths and Charters that won't do that! Or at least no better. Point is, there is nothing wrong with carrying a pistol capable of a 12" grouping with more that twice the firepower of a snubbie. The S&W mdl 59 Hi Cap mags fit if you need more. In my civilian mode my kel tecs get more mileage than my Glocks, Smiths, Kimbers & Rugers combined!  With pratice anyone can work the trigger well enough to hit COM at reasonable defensive ranges. So I have a couple of questions for anyone thinking of purchasing a everyday carry weapon: What's wrong with a pistol thats reliable, safe, twice the firepower of a snubbie, that shoots 12" groups @ 25yds and costs around $200-250??? I have to confess that I have never shot 25 yd groups with any of my deep concealment pistols. I know, they aren't cool-----the kel tecs are not good for much of the "WOW" factor when you show it off. Get the parkarized or hard chrome finish and it makes an excellent truck or tackle box gun---
Nuff said------
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
Kel-Tec?
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2003, 11:06:18 AM »
I got myself a little P-11 Kel-Tec. I hate the trigger pull and the groups are not impressive but............. at 25 feet or less, I can put 11 rounds of 9mm mid torso very very fast. It's no target pistol but for the money I think it's a damn fine defense piece. (mine likes ball ammo)
Rick :D

Offline Savage

Kel-Tec?
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2003, 11:23:04 AM »
Volshooter,
What you have done is: arm yourself with an inexpensive, efficent, adequate, tool for the intended purpose. My wife and I frequently venture forth into the streets armed with one or all of our Kel tecs. The Kel tecs are an excellent product, you will more than get your money's worth.

Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
Kel-Tec?
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2003, 03:07:34 AM »
You got that right Savage! I use the P-11 as back up or carry it when a full size pistolia is to much. (Tee shirt weather for example or times when any holster rig is just to much and a fanny pack is the only choice)
Rick

Offline Buckeye

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Kel-Tec?
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2003, 04:57:36 PM »
I carry a 32 Kel-tec everyday,  and have shot it 100's of times. No failures after being broke in.     Cor-bon make s a great round for this gun.    And win. silvertip is a fine round also.
45/70 Government
Is the only Government
        I trust !

Offline Will

Kel-Tec?
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2003, 12:16:24 PM »
I had a P-11 one time, and for the money, it was a good little pistol.  No, it wasn't really accurate, and the trigger was heavy, but I could have hit a bad guy with it no problem.  I ended up trading it in on my Berretta 92 and haven't regretted it, but it would be a good CCW piece.
Even without grocery stores, I won't go hungry.

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
Kel-Tec?
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2003, 05:39:22 PM »
I'm chompimg at the bit to buy one of the new .380 Kel-Tecs. I think the 9 mm is mininum accepteable cal. but first rile to any gun fight is to bring a gun, any gun.
Rick :grin: