Author Topic: WSSM .243 Cart.  (Read 480 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
WSSM .243 Cart.
« on: March 26, 2005, 12:04:49 PM »
This may sound dumb to some, but I am new to centerfire rifles.  Can you shoot a WSSM 243 in the 243 Handi?  How does it compare to the standard length 243?  Facts, opinions and experiences are all welcome.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Wild Bill 442

• Trade Count: (0)
Cartridge
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 12:41:15 PM »
Not a dumb question, in fact a very important one.  No, you cannot fire a 243 WSSM in an "243 Handi-Rifle".  The 243 Handi's are chambered for 243 Winchester or as its sometimes referred to, the 243 WCF.  While there may come a day when Handi's are chambered for the WSSM's, its a long way off since their (the WSSM Family of cartridges) pressure specs are well above the Handi  design capability.

The single most important aspect of centerfire rifles beyond basic gun safety is to have complete and specific knowledge of your rifles chambering and the ammunition if is intended to fire.  And it sounds like you get it since you asked the question.

Each rifle is chambered for a specific cartridge design.  Certain cartridge designs are called by several names, adding to the confusion.  Sharing a nominal bore diameter as do the 243 WSSM and the 243 WCF, is no indication of interchangeability.

Only reliable, documented interchangability charts should be used as the basis for ammo use.  There are some clear examples of interchangeability and some clear examples of disasters that could happen.  First, 38 Special and 357 Magnum are essentially the same cartridge design except for length.  It is possible in most firearms to shoot 38 Special ammo in an 357 Magnum.  The reverse is not true, and is generally not possible because the longer 357 will usually not chamber in a 38.  And it could be very dangerous if a 357 round were to chamber in a weapon designed for 38 Special level pressures.

In the same bore diameter that started this discussion are the pair of cartridge names 244 Remington and 6mm Remington.  Cartridge-wise between the two,  they share the same case, bullet diameter and are interchangeable except that the rifle that use them generally have different twist rates in the barrel.  As I recall, 244 Rem's are slower twist, and don't stabilize heavier bullets as well.  So even thought they are nominally interchangeable, the performance of each is distinct.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
Interchangability Charts
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 12:53:47 PM »
Thank you.  I didn't think I could, but I wanted to make sure.  I went to the Winchester site and did a bit of reading on the WSSM and thought that I would not be able to, but was just not sure.  I thought maybe it was like with the 38/357.  

Where can I find interchangability charts?  That would be good to know for future reference.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
WSSM .243 Cart.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 12:54:52 PM »
Cookieman:

If I might make a suggestion...please don't take this wrong...but if you are going to get into centerfires...you really need to pick up a couple of reloading  manuals...then you can have at your finger tips...a wealth of information...plus a-lot of great reloading data...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
reloading manuels
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 01:01:26 PM »
Not taken wrong at all.  That's a very good suggestion.  Thank you.  I had not thought of that.  It seems when I start looking at ammo I walk away with more questions than I had when I walked in.  That is frustrating and a bit of reading may just be the cure for that.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline jritter

WSSM .243 Cart.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 02:54:24 PM »
Hang out on this forum for a while, and you will learn and understand more than though existed on the subject.  I know I have!!
"In the end, we conserve only what we love, we will love only what we understand, we will understand only what we are taught."

Offline mr.frosty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
WSSM .243 Cart.
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 03:07:33 PM »
I agree you can learn alot here.
As for myself I have some good recipes for different loads for a 45/70
and my 480 and my 30/30 too. Kick back and enjoy the show its quite
fun and entertaining.
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline cheatermk3

• A Real Regular
WARNING!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 05:50:00 PM »
Exposure to reloading manuals, especially the better, hardbound ones with cartridge drawings and historical write-ups, can precipitate the dreaded condition of GUN-NUT-ITIS, which can lead to handiholism.

You have been warned.

(P.S--you can find such manuals, often slightly used and at cosiderable discount, at many gun-shows).

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
WSSM .243 Cart.
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 07:29:58 PM »
There are some good manuals out there. I think I have them all. I like the new Lyman manual really well as it gives cast bullet info as well as jacketed. Welcome aboard. I will be happy to help you out any time I can.
shot placement is everything.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.handirifle.com
WSSM .243 Cart.
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 07:58:46 PM »
Cookieman
If I am not mistaken you couldn't fit a 243 WSSM in the chamber of a 243 Win if you tried.  I think the WSSM is considerably wider.  They did that for a reason.  You are smart enough to ask a "dumb" question (it's not dumb to ask it by the way) but thare are more than a few out there that would shove it in if it fit.

Wild Bill, while he may be new here, obviously is not new to rifles and have given you sound advice.  So have the others.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!