Author Topic: Wht to do with the ww now  (Read 1024 times)

Offline WildcatTC

• Trade Count: (4)
Wht to do with the ww now
« on: February 09, 2003, 06:18:58 PM »
Okay guys I now have all the wheel weights melted down to 293 one pound ingots.Now what now?What do i need to add to these to get them as hard as Lino.and in what ratio?
One Shot One Kill

Offline HBL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2003, 03:25:54 AM »
Use them as is and heat treat them. Don't worry about the lino. WW's are cheap and easily heat treated to 30-35 BHN if your shooting requires that type of hardness. :grin:
Gun Control is the Ability to hit what you are aiming at.

Offline Cheyenne Ranger

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2003, 05:51:44 AM »
I agree, just use them as is.  You didn't say what kind of bullets you will be casting.  Let us know so we can give you special considerations if needed.  
Cast them into a 5 gallon bucket of water and they will be much harder than if you just cast onto a towel.  BE VERY CAREFUL about getting water into the molden lead!  Not a pretty sight when the lead explodes from the steam.
keep us posted
CR
SASS 48747L
RO II
Thunder River Renegades
SBSS #1170--OGB

Offline WildcatTC

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2003, 06:16:50 AM »
I will be casting 7mm and 30 caliber to shoot in a contender at about 2200 to 2350 FPS.Hope this helps
One Shot One Kill

Offline HBL

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2003, 08:33:43 AM »
WW meetal will be just fine at those velocities as long as your bullets are gas checked and heat treated properly.

Offline WildcatTC

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2003, 09:25:08 AM »
I quess what I need to know is what is the process to heat treat.I know about dropping the in water right out of the mold .But what is the process I here about putting them in an oven.Like what temp and how long and how to cool them.I quess I need just a short step by step if you know what I mean.
One Shot One Kill

Offline HBL

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2003, 02:04:58 AM »
Put the cast, sized and gas checked bullets in the oven for 1 hour at 450 degrees and then quench in ice water. After 24 hours the bullets will attain a hardness of 30-35 BHN. You wont even be able to scratch the bullets with a finger nail.

There is a publication, I believe Veral Smith has that is called "Jacketed Performance with Cast Bullets".

This is the best paperback I have seen describing all the ins and outs of casting and heat treating. Also described the different alloys and the most they can be hardened and their best uses.

Offline WildcatTC

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2003, 04:52:39 AM »
thanks for all the info.Now if the bullet lube that I ordered for BBT cast bullets last week will get here I will be all set.well got to go bullets to cast
One Shot One Kill