Author Topic: Stainless 243 likes Corloks  (Read 311 times)

Offline James B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Stainless 243 likes Corloks
« on: March 27, 2005, 02:05:37 PM »
I took the new 243 stainless to the range today. I shot my hand loads with 85 grain Sierra BTSP Game Kings. They shot about 1 1/2. They shot at 3082 FPS.  41.0 grains H4350. WW LR primer OCL 2.680. I then opened a new box of Remington Corlokts 100 grain shells. I shot 2 three shot groups. The first was under one inch. The second was about 1 1/8 inch. I then fired one last three shot group which jumped up to two inches but I called one flyer before I went down range to mark the target.

I am convinced beyond any doubt in my mind that when I shoot poor groups with any of the handi rifles that it is the lock time that is most at fault. Its hard to hold the rifle steady after the trigger breaks long enough at times to shoot really good groups. Its the only thing in my mind that can cause the handy to shoot so many groups with several almost touching then a flyer thats way out of the group. There is no pattern to my poor groups. I mean its not the third or fourth or any regular pattern that could be caused by stock pressure or other physical traits of the rifle. When I test a Handi for hunting accuracy anymore, I go out on several different days and get set up good and steady then fire two or three shots then go out another day and do the same. When I do, almost every time my first few shots will be right on the money. If they are then that rifle will do the job in the field. Most of the range days up here right now are marginal weather wise. The wind today was 20 MPH + and thats about normal up here in March.
shot placement is everything.

Offline Nightrain52

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Stainless 243 likes Corloks
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 02:46:12 PM »
I have one theory on the fliers. You have to break the gun open after each shot and load and reclose the action. When this is done your not getting your cheek in the same position or same pressure each time. This could also be causing a parallax problem depending on the brand and type of scope. :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS