Author Topic: Good Heavy Bullet load for 223  (Read 801 times)

Offline James B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Good Heavy Bullet load for 223
« on: March 26, 2005, 05:27:47 PM »
Thanks to some of the guys here, I tried the Sierra 63 grain Semi- Spitzer in the 223 Ultra. I loaded it with 26.0 grains of Varget and the CCI small rifle primer. OCL is 2.260. Velocity over my chronograph is average of 2875 for a five shot string. This load is one grain under Max in the new Lyman manual. They list 25 as a starting load and 27 as Max. This load will group one inch or less. It did very well for me today under pretty poor conditions. A bit cold and a bit windy. I am a happy camper. I have wanted a heavier bullet load that would group in my rifle and this one it it. I may try a few at 27.0 grains but I may well leave well enough alone.
shot placement is everything.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 07:33:14 PM »
Nice going James.  That 63 gr ought to pack a whallop on small to med size game.  That's edging pretty close to the 243.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 02:52:48 AM »
Thanks for the info James, I think that those heavier bullets will be great, I'll try to get some in the next few months and try them when things warm up and thaw out. Most of the snow is gone now here on "sunny" Cape Cod where the Chamber of Commerce says it never snows ( :-D ), now for the temperature to warm up a bit, then for the mud to dry up, and then perhaps some shooting!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
Heavy butts
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 03:18:59 AM »
James B, In most of my reloading, I have found that Most of
 you need to stay about 1/2 to 1 grain under max load ( from Sierra's
 manuel) for best groups, This may not be the case in every caliber
 But in my 243 when I got to 1/2 grain of top load It would shoot better
 than I can. Went to top load it scattered bad. Best of luck Marv.

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 05:21:28 AM »
Its best to back off a little. I will try that bullet in the 22-250 as well. (When I pick it up from layaway that is) Then if I need more speed I will shoot them in that. Boy these grouped well. The ND weather is not to shooter friendly yet but its getting there. :lol:
shot placement is everything.

Offline jeff223

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 12:30:01 PM »
james have you tried seating your bullet out alittle longer?i just wondered if you could reach the lands with the 63 gr  bullet.i might just try a box of the 63gr bullets in my rifle.i will seat them out there for sure

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 02:19:20 PM »
James,

From my experience with the 60 gr V-Max with 27.0 gr Varget, I'd say go for a little more powder.  I'm loading mine at 2.5" with CCI 400 primers.

Offline MtJerry

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 02:52:31 PM »
Quote from: jeff223
james have you tried seating your bullet out alittle longer?i just wondered if you could reach the lands with the 63 gr  bullet.i might just try a box of the 63gr bullets in my rifle.i will seat them out there for sure

I tried that in mine Jeff.  The groups sucked ... seat them at specs listed in Sierrra's manual .. groups were just shy of .8
:D