Author Topic: What do European Optics cost in Europe?  (Read 503 times)

Offline centershot

• Trade Count: (1)
What do European Optics cost in Europe?
« on: March 30, 2005, 11:54:24 AM »
A co-worker is going to Germany this fall and the first thing that came to my mind is ........ Hey pick me up some new Swarovski's.  I understand that the warranty will probably not be good for much, but can they be had for say 1/2 ... the US list prices?

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 12:09:56 PM »
a lot cheaper well a few years ago we ie navy boys were geting berettas for like 200 us dollars  im talken 1500$ guns back here but a lot an i mean a lot of paper work was involved an we had to pay tax comen back but the best deals were on tv in japan lol ever see an 19 year old with a 56 inch big screen tv with speakers 4 foot tall lol

Offline Simpleman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 12:13:11 PM »
I was in Germany a few years ago, and looked at binos. No difference in price from what I could tell. Being the dollar is week against the Euro what you might not save any. I would not hurt to have him look anyway. Companies that have their kind of good reputation know what they can get for their product here so they charge as much to their own people. Europe isn't the same that it was ten to fifteen years ago. Japan However still sell their electronics cheeeeeeeep compared to what we pay here.

R/Eric

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 01:17:07 PM »
Well, I'd think you'ld at least save the shipping cost!
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 02:24:20 PM »
Quote from: victorcharlie
Well, I'd think you'ld at least save the shipping cost!

...until customs duty is paid! :cry:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Zachary

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 05:05:40 PM »
Most people know that European scopes generally cost twice as much as US scopes - i.e. Leupold for $500, Swarovski for $1,000 or more.

Thing is that labor in Europe is about twice what they are in the US.  So, when you think about it, the European scopes makers are not making a killing on the profits of their scopes.  

Japan, and especially China, on the other hand, where labor is less than the US, that's where the prices are cheaper (as was previously noted on their TVs).

I practice international business law, and I can tell you that the Chinese are manufacturing virtually everything and selling it to everyone for a whole lot cheaper than anyone.  It seems that everywhere I look the documents say "made in China."  Well, since the labor over there is next to nothing (especially considering that they are a communist nation and most people get paid peanuts because of their political structure) it is hard for many other nations to compete.  So it seems that most nations import Chinese goods.

Anyway, back to the post....I don't think that the prices of Swarovski scopes will be much cheaper in Europe (and in the end probably more expensive given that you will have to pay duties when you bring it here.)

Also, FYI, Swarovski is made in Austria, not Germany.

Zachary