Author Topic: 22 hornet won't group  (Read 583 times)

Offline 5.56er

• Trade Count: (0)
22 hornet won't group
« on: March 25, 2005, 02:50:55 PM »
any suggestions on what I could at least turn into 1 inch groups right know it is about 3 inch groups. help appreciated
mauser 1895

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
22 hornet won't group
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 03:45:45 PM »
Mine's shooting max loads real good, less than 1" at 100yds, you might consider Hodgdon Lil' gun powder,  35gr Vmax, winchester brass and WSR primers. I'm told that the 40gr Vmax/Lil' gun and rem brass will shoot real good too....

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=58971
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
22 hornet won't group
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 04:17:35 PM »
Lil'Gun, Rem brass, CCI 400 and the 40 gr V-Max does the trick in my 20".  I don't groups get as good with Win brass.  The cheapo 45 gr Rem and Win bullets aren't good in my guns and neither is the Nosler 45 gr solid based.

I load them at 1.935" OAL and will average 2789 fps.

Offline Joel

• A Real Regular
22 hornet won't group
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 07:13:31 AM »
While components are often the answer, might be other things also.  When I load for mine, and it doesn't seem to really care what I use, I necksize the cases only, and load them out long.  Always a chance you might have got a rough barrel, and it needs smoothing out some, also.  Another thing is, when you shoot it, are you resting the rifle on the forearm or close to the hinge pin?  NEF's shoot best, mostly, when rested with the hinge pin on the bags.  Another consideration to try is free floating the barrel using the rubber washer trick; that seems to work for a lot of people.  I"d try "mechanical" fixes like those, before spending a whole lot on different components.  Last and not least, is your Scope fastened tightly and working right?

Offline nofun1

• Avid Poster
22 hornet won't group
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 02:43:41 AM »
All goof tips I have a hornet handi and its my go to gun for small stuff it shoots great . heres what I did: Polish bore with JB, do trigger 1lb 12oz. float barrel with rubber washer washer, my load is 12.9 grains of 4198, federal magnum small pistol primer and a 45 gr Hornady Hornet bullet(.224 not .223). This gun is a little tricky to load because of small cases. but since its my favorite its a labor of love. Good luck i hope you love yours like I do.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
22 hornet won't group
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 06:10:22 AM »
While I don't own the Hornet barrel...I have owned several of the other calibers to know...you must pull the trigger all the way thru with each shot...don't try to just let the trigger break like you would with a bolt action...your groups will be eratic..also...try removing the hammer extention if you have one on...sometimes this can help on certain barrels...it has on some of mine...

Good Luck :D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...