Author Topic: Why does anyone even bother with LOW POWER SCOPES?????  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Steelhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Why does anyone even bother with LOW POWER SCOPES?????
« on: January 07, 2005, 02:00:57 PM »
I am in the market for a new scope for my 6.5/06. I have been thinking about a 3-9x, since such a cartridge warrants such magnification. Then I did an inventory of rifles on hand.

2.5x Leupold, 2.5x Weaver, 3x Scopechief, 4x Scopechief, 4x Nikon, 4x Leupold, 1-3x Weaver, 1-4x Leupold, 2-5x Pentax and the 2 REAL BIG scopes 2-7x Leupolds.

I never realized what a low power nut I am. Perhaps a 1.75-6x or maybe (GASP) another 2-7x for the 6.5/06. You know I have ALWAYS WANTED A VXIII in 1.5-5x.  I would love to give a 4200 1.5-6x a try but the damn thing is half again as big as the Lupies in 2-7x. Maybe when I am younger again.

I have only shot a rifle 2 times with a scope that could crank past 7x and that went to 10x, seemed like WAY too much, even for targets.

Now if Leupold would make a 3x again.......................
Deactivated for behavior in response to a warning from GB.

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Why does anyone even bother with LOW POWER
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 07:41:55 PM »
There is something about that 3X Leupold.  I have two.  I do have a couple of high power scopes.......12X that I use for load development.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 06:46:42 AM »
I would say buy what YOU like to anyone buying a scope. Me, I like lower power and more field of view. When I started using better quality scopes I was amazed how well I could see at 6x and couldn't at 10x on a lesser quality scope.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline JoeRobbins

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 03:36:44 PM »
Hunting guns get 2-7 or 3-9s. Varmint guns get on up to 16 or 20 power. I like the 4-16s the most for varmints and the 3-9s for deer size.
Joe

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 06:17:32 PM »
Steelhead;

You should not be so rough on yourself.
Sitting on my Rem. Model 7FS right now is a Leupold 4X32, and that is the most accurate rifle I own. Most of my scopes are of fixed power, and none are of greater power than 6X. And the variables I own are no greater than 9X. Sitting at the computer right now is a Leupold VariX-III in 2.5X8X36, not even mounted on a rifle.
I cannot tell you why but I seem to get better groups with a lower power scope. The best groups I got with the Rem. Model 7FS in 7mm-08 have been with a 4X scope.
So, I don't think your a slut for choosing a lower power scope for your useage. I think that all this great magnifaction for rifle scopes is just more money for the scope makers.
Heck... as I get older, I seem to favor iron sighted rifles sucn as my Marlins.

Dennis  :D

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
I like lower power
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 11:11:22 PM »
I have a 1.5-5 Leup on my 300 win mag - its compact, gets through the brush easier and keeps me from making silly long shots.  And I can shoot .75 to 1 inch groups at 100 yds with it.  Have a Leup 3x on the 30-06, and a Weaver 2.5 on my Marlin 39A.  I like the looks of these scopes too - the don't overload the rifle.  Have a Weaver 2-7 on a Win 52 (Jap), and my big scope is a 6-18 Burris on my Ruger 1 in .223.  I feel that the big power on my .223 gave me false confidence to make a lousy shot on a fox at 350+ yards once.  Had to chase that poor wounded thing a half mile up a mountain before I could finish him.  Until recently I was happy with a 2.5x beeman on my .22 pellet rifle - but for hunting with pellets I'm headed up with a 2-7 Beeman and a 4-12 Swift.  Pellet placement is so critical for hunting and I need to see the exact spot I want to hit.  And for the pellet rifles, I'm finding with a lot of practice, small target spots and higher power, I can make some amazingly small groups - again with a lot of practice.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Kurt

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 11:04:22 AM »
I have a 4x Leopold on my main deer/elk rifle now it's a 280rem. If I were to win or be given a new variable of any power or make, it would immediately go up for sale, NIB. I wish someone made a 1x (no power) scope about 2 inches long. I would consider it for the 94win in 44mag, that isn't in yet :(

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 11:24:04 AM »
Quote from: Kurt
. I wish someone made a 1x (no power) scope about 2 inches long......

They do, they're called red dot scopes! Some have multiple reticles and most have no magnification. They're closer to 4" long, though...... :roll:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
scopes
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 02:18:01 PM »
My next deer rifle scope will be a 6X and no more than a 4X12 on my 22-250, 223 and 204 Ruger varmit rifles :-)

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 04:25:46 AM »
Fixed scope's are more reliable, less things to go wrong, like vari's. I have a few fixed, the one I like the most is for my 10/22 4x32,thats all you need when shooting a 22lr in a wooded area, works great, and if I can't see what I'm lok at through the scope, it too far too shoot;) I also have a fixed scope on my TC Black Diamond it is made bye TC its the Hawkings 2x32 fixed, at first I was not sure Id like it, now that I have used it in the field I like it allot. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

Offline Brasso

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 05:54:25 AM »
I've only killed one deer with my Nikon Monarch 1.5-6x42, but it was on the low setting 1.5x.      It gave great field of view.     There were 4 does in a line and I could see them all at the same time.     I picked the biggest one, which wouldn't be possible with a 9x setting.