Author Topic: Are these normal home defense weapons?  (Read 1793 times)

Offline JoeLansing

• Trade Count: (0)
Are these normal home defense weapons?
« on: February 08, 2005, 02:34:43 PM »
I look at the message list.  AK-47's, AR-15's, SKS, Bushmaster, on and on..   The other day I realized that out of 14 guns, I had no shotgun.  I went out and got a new Mossberg 500 Persuader for $207   I shot it the other day and love it!  I thought it would be a very popular home defense weapon.  hmmmmm   I've got the military stuff, and normal deer hunting rifles, but the little black shotgun full of buckshot really makes me feel safe.  Is it just me, or aren't 500's and 870's all that popular in the real world?   And I didn't even see the Saiga shotguns mentioned here.  That was a surprise.  For me the Persuader, maybe with some type of small bright flashlight on the front seems perfect.  Maybe I'm just strange?  I'm still learning.  -  Joe

Offline strider72

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 12:20:53 PM »
They are...have you checked other forums? Me personally...I have two 870s for HD.

Offline Gregory

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 01:53:25 PM »
My 870 would be the first out of the rack.  #4 buck.
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 01:59:31 PM »
Dumped my 870 for a Win. 1300 Defender.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Ramrod

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 04:21:06 PM »
Many years ago, the Feds had a training scenario where, upon entering a room you were confronted by multiple assailants, armed with various weapons, including one with a shotgun. Guess which one they told you to take out first, and why!
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline oo_buck

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 08:04:49 AM »
Stevens 311 12ga double with 20" barrels......

#4 Turkey Loads.........

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 03:15:21 PM »
Quote from: Lawdog

Was it you that I argued with a couple of years ago about how I preferred the 1300 over the 870?   :wink:   Just curious.

Anyway, I have a 1300 as my home defense weapon.  Tritium Chost ring sights, and a Sure-Fire forend grip.  Good stuff...however, I use Law Enforcement Low Recoil buck, but I am trying out Hornady TAP 00 Buck.  The Bushmaster is always there, too, but I figured a shotgun is easier to defend in court than an M4A3.

SAW
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline PeterF.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 04:08:51 PM »
SAWGunner: Who's the maker of your trituim ghost ring?  That sounds like a good setup.

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 06:46:23 AM »
Quote from: PeterF.
SAWGunner: Who's the maker of your trituim ghost ring?  That sounds like a good setup.

Scattergun Technologies TRAK-LOCK II.  I even modified the rear ring.  A buddy of mine and myself have a business together  and we dabble in fiber optics and tritium, so we drilled four holes in the rear sight and installed four tritium cartridges in a cross  pattern  like that.

SAW
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 11:08:30 AM »
Quote from: SAWgunner
Quote from: Lawdog

Was it you that I argued with a couple of years ago about how I preferred the 1300 over the 870?   :wink:   Just curious.

Anyway, I have a 1300 as my home defense weapon.  Tritium Chost ring sights, and a Sure-Fire forend grip.  Good stuff...however, I use Law Enforcement Low Recoil buck, but I am trying out Hornady TAP 00 Buck.  The Bushmaster is always there, too, but I figured a shotgun is easier to defend in court than an M4A3.

SAW

Not me!!  That Remington M870 Marine was a “jammers” delight(sucker would jam 3 out of 5 times you worked the action).  Delivered brand-new it felt loose and even rattled when you shook it around.  The Win. 1300 Defender is a much better weapon.  Maybe old 870’s are good but the new ones feel like “tin”.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Defender of Liberty

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 06:20:03 PM »
I have 4 12 guage shotguns, including a Remington model 10A, Remington 878, T/C Encore, and a Remington 870 that I have been modifying/customizing for my brother.  I used to have a Mossberg Persuader, but I traded it in an even swap for a more expensive gun.

Offline litman252

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2005, 01:17:04 PM »
Good to be in good company.  I have 2 1300's looking for another barrel or complete blackshadow.
Love the gun, keep your Rem's and Mosberg, unless your giving them away.

:lol:
Tony

Offline CornCod

Mossberg Trusted
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2005, 01:24:44 PM »
Some young hooligans let off a few rounds of ammo in the general direction of my apartment building last week. I grabbed my Mossberg 500 with 18 inch barrel and set up a defensive position. I too have AK's AR's and the like but a pump shotgun is great for home defense.

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
There all good, some are just better
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2005, 03:19:15 PM »
Hmm, lets see do I grab the 12 guage Winchester pump action Ranger?  Or do I grab the Mossberg Model 500 or the Remington model 870?  Gosh they all look pretty in the gunsafe.  They all are a pleasure to shoot at the trap range.  They all will do a home defence job, if called upon.

They are all good.   Some are prettier than others, some are more expensive than others, some feel better when held in your hands.....No honey.....I am talking about shotguns not other women, go back to your reading.

Offline Ramrod

Re: There all good, some are just better
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2005, 05:50:47 PM »
Quote from: Robert357
Hmm, lets see do I grab the 12 guage Winchester pump action Ranger?  Or do I grab the Mossberg Model 500 or the Remington model 870?  Gosh they all look pretty in the gunsafe.

They won't do you much good in a safe if someone comes through your bedroom window. Best to keep one close to hand if you are serious about defense.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline JoeLansing

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2005, 01:01:08 PM »
Wow!  I started this thread, and look what happens when I don't check back often.  I'm glad shotguns are a popular HD weapon.  My cheapo Persuader just felt so right, but when I started this thread there wasn't much about shotguns here.  I did put a Millet red dot on mine, and a cheeze elastic shell holder on the buttstock.  I've read the elastic ones are *not* reccomended, but the Uncle Mike's one I have holds the shells very well.  No way I could knock any loose unless I put them in shiny side down and tried to beat them out by whacking the gun as hard as I could on the sidewalk or something.  Mine just stands next to the bed headboard ready to go.  First a buckshot, the rest slugs.  Reading here also taught me about changing what load is behind the pin with one pump by leaving room for one in the mag.  That works great!  Something about a pump.  You can kinda feel the shell do it's thing from mag to chamber and just know that it fed right.  You can even hear it do it's thing.  With my autos I don't know I've got a jam until it doesn't go boom.  For a SHTF situation I like my AK or maybe SKS better, but for something to grab at night I just like the 12ga pump.   Thanks guys.  -  Joe

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2005, 03:00:15 PM »
:cb2: Got my coach gun by the bed. If I need more than two shots, then the .357 is stickin' out between the matresses. Doubt I'll need the .357.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."