Author Topic: Reloading for my Handi...  (Read 499 times)

Offline allcamo

• Trade Count: (0)
Reloading for my Handi...
« on: March 27, 2005, 12:55:15 PM »
I wanted to post this in here so you Handi-Holics could help me out. I have never reloaded for a single shot before so I was wondering how do you determine the COL? In a bolt action I would barely seat a bullet into an empty case and then camber it. After doing this I would back it off the appropriate amount from the lands. What is the proper way to do this in my Handi? What have you guys found to be the best relief from the lands? I'm working on a .280 Handi using 139gr Hornady SST's. Thanks and I hope this was not too dumb of a question, I'm still learning this reloading thing!  :grin:
Freedom is not a right, but rather an honor to be defended.....

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 02:28:11 PM »
More than likely, you'll never reach the lands (unless it's a .45-70 or .360 DWs in a .357) on a Handi.  They seem to have very long throats.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 09:31:26 PM »
It's usually best to just load to factory COAL in the Handi's.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline allcamo

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 12:44:57 PM »
Thanks guys, looks like I'll stick with the COL in the Nosler book... :D
Freedom is not a right, but rather an honor to be defended.....

Offline jeff223

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 01:02:52 PM »
why would you go with factory spec as far as OAL?if you look in the loading manuals you will see spec and they all tell you to use that or longer.never shorter than spec.shorter than spec may cause pressure to rise,longer than spec pressure goes down.when loading for a handi rifle i would at least try to reach the lands and if you are lucky and do reach them then seat the bullet just off from them.your ammo will be to long to  work in a most bolt action guns when you are done but who cares?you are loading for a handi rifle.

there is nothing wrong with loading ammo longer than spec.doing this may help you get alittle more out of your rifles.