Author Topic: .223 OAL in the Handi?  (Read 544 times)

Offline bigjeepman

• Trade Count: (0)
.223 OAL in the Handi?
« on: March 26, 2005, 11:26:15 PM »
I know this is a reloading question but this section of Greybeard's answers so quickly that I thought I'd take a chance and ask. My new .223 Handi heavy barrel will be here Tuesday but I have two full days off of work to work up some test loads. I am curious what you guys use for your OAL for this rifle? I will be using Nosler BT in 50 and 55 gr, Hornady Vmax 55 gr, and Sierra 55gr Spitzers to start off with.

I found 2.261" to be the ideal OAL for my Savage 10 FP but was unsure what most people use in their Handi rifles. I have a Stoney Point OAL gauge I could use after it gets here but just am kind of anxious to get some reloads worked up.

I apologize if I asked this question in the wrong section.
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline MtJerry

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
.223 OAL in the Handi?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 02:57:28 AM »
The .223 Handi has a VERY long throat.  I doubt seriously you will reach the lands with the bullet unles you are using at least a 63gr. bullet.

I have several good loads that will shoot .5 or better at 100 yards loading them to OAL listed in the manual.

Good luck!
:D

Offline bigjeepman

.223 OAL in the Handi?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 08:12:54 AM »
MtJerry ...

Thanks for the reply. I'll start out then leaving the OAL at 2.261" that is ideal for my Savage 10 FP. The Nosler manual is showing the same suggested OAL for the 50 gr BT and the 55 BT at 2.250" so seating them the same shouldn't be a problem. I will make adjustments on the OAL to fine tune the loads later on.

I didn't realize the throat would be that long so I appreciate the info.
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline fast*eddie

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
.223 OAL in the Handi?
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 12:30:27 PM »
I shoot 50 gr Hornaday V-Max with 26 gr of H335 and a CCI small rifle mag primer. Mine have an OAL of 2.32 . No problem !  :grin:
Semper Fi !

Offline rgsheehan

.223 OAL in the Handi?
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 03:31:09 AM »
Hello to the forum,
I am new to the forum, just got a new NEF Handi in .223, and am relatively new to reloading to boot.  I have a general question about OAL.  Where is it measured?  Just measuring end-to-end doesn't take bullet type/shape into account.  I would think that would have a big effect on the 'distance to the lands' clearance we are trying to adjust with our reloading.  My rifle is a 'Superlight'.  It shoots in two dimensions.  Left to right it is under 1/2 inch at 100 yds.  Vertically it is 3-4 inches.  I tried the 'support under the hinge pin' trick.  It did not help and I really don't like having to do that anyway.  I'll contact H&R/NEF and see what they say.  Otherwise, it looks like I will have to find a smith to rework the latch as per the 'Fred the Reloader' web page.

Thanks for any advice,

R. G.  Sheehan

Offline rmtaylor

• Avid Poster
.223 OAL in the Handi?
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 11:31:22 AM »
RG,

Check out some products by Stony Point. They are not too awfully expensive but they do exactly what you are talking about. Measure OAL from the important places on a cartridge.

Richard
NRA Member
Living in Michigan but  "MY Home's in ALABAMA"