Author Topic: Turkey loads for 12 gauge handi  (Read 685 times)

Offline 300winman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Turkey loads for 12 gauge handi
« on: March 22, 2005, 05:51:08 PM »
Just received a 12gauge 24" full choke barrel for my handi. Shot some 3" federal 1 7/8 ounce turkey loads(ouch). These loads are a bit much for me and was wondering what is a good turkey round for the handi. My barrel has a 3 1/2" chambering, but after firing these 3" loads I'm really shying away from any 3 1/2" loads. Any inputs greatly appreciated.
Big Guns get''''r done!!!!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 12:58:27 AM »
Make sure the chamber is clean. A lot of times when they come from the factory they need a good cleaning. if that don't get it polish the chamber. Do a search in this forum for instructions.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 12:32:00 PM »
I'm planning on using my NEF 16 ga to fill my second turkey tag this year.  After allot of resreach and range time I found the PMC heavy field load #4 shot to be the best non turkey load for what I plan to do.  But Winchester, Remington and Federal make a 2 3/4 in turkey load.  I have found that when it the field shooting at live game the recoil isn't anywhere close to as bad as when your shooting at a target.  So you might want to tough out the range time and use something a little heavier hunting...
In my set up for hunting with my 16 ga I'm not planning on taking any shot over 25 yrds.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline ncmtnhillbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
smart man...
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 08:59:27 PM »
you are wise to stay away from the 3.5 they are brutal, on my set up same as your barrel lenght, the 3 in winchester 6`s did well out to 35 yards,give those a try.

Good luck

Bill
:shock:  :excuseme: Be vewy,vewy quiet, I`m huntin`Cwiminals!!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 01:36:13 AM »
A lot of reports seem to suggest that the very slight increase in pattern density is not worth the beating you take. My only experience with them is shooting No.2 hevi-shot for geese. They did in deed kill the geese but they were'nt any more dead than the geese I've shot with 3' and 2 3/4" loads. I really don't see a reason to use 3 1/2" shells in these guns. If you want more pellets go to the 10ga. By all reports and personal experience the kick is no worse.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 07:10:00 AM »
Have a look at the new offering from Federal...and they do come in 3" loads too...

http://www.federalcartridge.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=4&s2=6&id=66&brand=5&year=2005

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 07:51:33 AM »
I am pretty sure the 16 gauge only comes in 2 3/4" loadings....<><.... :grin: l
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley